The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:57am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   another science guy?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: another science guy?  (Read 5913 times)
reality
Re: another science guy?
« Reply #25 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 7:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Am and have been a successful patent attorney and I agree that the earning potential is much more with the legal profession. The comments are not comparing which which profession is better but merely stating what the facts are out there. If someone likes pharmacy then that is fine. I chose the law because I find that it is more creative and interesting.
IP Logged
Patent_Type

« Reply #26 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 9:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In light of the recent posts on this topic, I repeat what I posted earlier:
on Apr 13th, 2005, 10:28am, Patent_Type wrote:
Be a pharmacist:

1) Regular, manageable hours
2) Great pay
3) Low stress
4) A sense that you are making a positive contribution

Your family will thank you for it.

PT

Nobody even is suggesting that pharmacists make more than patent attorneys.  Only that the lifestyle is quite nice for a pharmacist.

PT
IP Logged
melwrc

« Reply #27 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 10:00am »

I'm curious to see over the next 10 or so years if pharmacy schools open up the flood gates to meet the demand.  
Peter, if you go forward with becoming a pharmacist but are still interested in IP, make sure that you keep current with pharmaceutical science beyond what is required for you job.  It'll make you more desirable in IP should something happen down the road to screw up the supply/demand balance.

Granted, in patent law, we all have to hope that the patent system never gets fixed in a way that reduces billables too significantly.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2005, 10:01am by melwrc » IP Logged
Peter Foss
« Reply #28 on: Apr 19th, 2005, 2:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for all the great discussion on this post! I'm still finding my way and have been talking to quite a few people in both areas. I suspect I'll think things over the summer and possibly job shadow a pharmacist for a while in town here. My friends brother is a patent attorney for a firm in Seattle so I'm going to give him a call as well. I just have to feel things out. I'm leaning hard toward Pharmacy because I can pay off my student loans right away and if I want to continue into law school I can, but I can't really do it the other way around.
IP Logged
csc77

« Reply #29 on: Apr 28th, 2005, 9:22pm »

I will get my Ph.D. in the Science and Engineering of Materials (interdisciplinary focused on material science and physics) in December. I have an undergraduate degree in Physics and a Masters degree in Material Science.  I am interested in the career path of a patent attorney.  I have done some research online and it appears that a jd degree is the next step...is that correct?  If so, what is the best method of choosing a school?  I would like to work full-time and attend law school part time.  Thanks in advance!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »