The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2019, 2:22am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 347091 times)
mk1023

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #995 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 11:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The probationary period is two years. If you try hard and improve you'll be fine unless your supervisor doesn't like you (which does happen).
IP Logged
fdsfsdds
« Reply #996 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 4:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

No, the period is still one year.  PTO is wanting to increase it to two years, but it's still in negotiation with POPA and yes you can be fired within the probationary period.  A guy in my art unit was "let go" after his one year was up--he just couldn't get a handle for the job.
IP Logged
qq
« Reply #997 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 4:55pm »

Hi,

My main concern/question relating to the risk of getting fired within the probationary year is:

The technical requirement for the PE job is a B.Sc. degree in EE.

How can the USPTO expect a new graduate in EE (and even those with just a year or two experience) to be able to proof-read and verify the viability of those circuit diagrams that most probably will come with the patent application, in a short time frame? I assume that a PE's job is to make sure that the EE art actually will work which will take a great deal of time (circuit diagrams), in addition to the ensurance of the claims. Let's all face it, how much can a 4-year college education really prepare you for "proving" the workability of a EE invention? Not that much.

Some of you probably will say "stop worry too much too early!". But for those of us still in the application pipeline, it is better know it ahead of time whether the USPTO has under-stated the job requirements, or may be I am misunderstanding that the PE job simply does not require that much technical skill (beyond those taught in the 4 years of college). Jumping into a job with the incorrect expectation can be suicidal carrer-wise.

Current and/or former Patent Examiners please comment on my question.

Thanks!
IP Logged
mk1023

« Reply #998 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 5:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 8th, 2007, 4:26pm, fdsfsdds wrote:
No, the period is still one year.  PTO is wanting to increase it to two years, but it's still in negotiation with POPA and yes you can be fired within the probationary period.  A guy in my art unit was "let go" after his one year was up--he just couldn't get a handle for the job.

My probationary period is two years.
IP Logged
Current_Examiner
« Reply #999 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 7:50pm »

My probationary period is 2 years as well.  Everyone in the training academy's is 2 years now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »