The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2019, 2:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 346752 times)
MSU316L
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #970 on: May 25th, 2007, 10:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I got my formal offer to start at the PTO on July 9th last week. Contrary to what many say on this board, I have some insider friends and they actually enjoy their jobs.

I am very excited about the art unit I was hired into. I was contacted by the individual who will be my main supervisor, he seemed very nice and excited to have me.

I will try to post information as to my new experiences here once they occur. I am thrilled to move to DC. I want to go the patent/intellectual property route and the USPTO seems the best place to start. Hopefully I am correct!

IP Logged
someExaminer
« Reply #971 on: May 26th, 2007, 8:32am »

How long has the PTO been trying to send its former employees to jail?  Is this a new thing?  Does this only happen to examiners who irritate their supervisors, or is it institution wide?

Also, how does this help the institution?  Frankly, it seems like an enormous waste of time and money for the PTO.  Also, it seems like this would really poison the work environment.  

How may have been prosecuted?  The POPA newsletters refers to at least 4 over the past 2 yrs.
IP Logged
xExamienr
« Reply #972 on: May 26th, 2007, 11:09am »

USPTO is hands down the worse place to work. Regardless of the assumption of "government workers having an easy work life and a lenient work environment" compared to private sectors (large or mid-size IP firms) is positively just an assumption when speaking in terms of working for the USPTO. The simple fact that the USPTO has arrested a former employee with a law degree, MD degree, and consecutive production levels of 130% for 3 years is outrageous (keep in mind 130% production is extremely hard to reach). An individual with an overall academic credential that surpasses an examiner position within the USPTO, presumably, would not risk years of academic hard work to cheat the government and USPTO from a few dollars. As a prior patent examiner, it is ridiculous for a government institution to “hunt” a former examiner down and bring him/her to trial. The turnstiles in the USPTO buildings are also not always fully functional. There has been many times when the turnstiles have been down and not working. With that said, I am glad I left the USPTO and will not ever recommend anyone working there.
IP Logged
Current_Examiner
« Reply #973 on: May 26th, 2007, 7:38pm »

Wow, xExaminer, your post seems a little harsh.  I currently work for the PTO and I've only have good experiences.  Sure, I admit, the job is not a "cake walk".  You have to work and do your job.  But I find the job very doable.  I've been above 100 percent since my first biweek examining and I'm averaging about 130% a biweek.    

As far as them prosecuting examiners for time card issues, I can't say anything.  I've never had any bad experiences.  They told us when we were hired to be careful and accurate with our time cards.  So that's what I do, and I've not had any problems.
I'm sure the PTO has people who try to cheat the system, as any large company does.  I'm not saying this for any specific circumstance, just an opinion.  I've met some very unprofessional examiners at the PTO, so I'm not surprised if this is the case.  

IP Logged
MSU316L
« Reply #974 on: May 26th, 2007, 8:31pm »

I know this is a bit off-topic for this thread but I thought I would give it a shot.

I begin training on July 9th, I was hoping to find a roommate and live in Arlington (Pentagon/Crystal City) and possibly Arlington. I am a 23 y/o male, I just completed my undergrad education. Would prefer a beginning of July move-in.

If you are interested please contact me at spjosephd(dot)gmail(dot)com

I feel this is a bit better than going to craigslist route.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »