The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 27th, 2019, 4:20am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 343182 times)
slog
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #955 on: May 20th, 2007, 10:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Those of you coming in should check out the government accountability office (gao) report on the pto from 2005.  In it they explain how and why the pto has a lot of trouble getting people to work there past the two year probationary period.  The retention rates for the PTO are pretty dismal.  I've heard that it's been even worse since they started the training academy, but I'm not certain about that.  Anybody know?
IP Logged
ExaminerJr

« Reply #956 on: May 21st, 2007, 9:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 20th, 2007, 10:32pm, slog wrote:
I've heard that it's been even worse since they started the training academy, but I'm not certain about that.  Anybody know?

Apparently, some of that is because college students are taking the job as an easy way to make money for eight months without working, while searching for the job they "really want."  So I'm sure that skews the numbers quite a bit.
IP Logged
lsi
« Reply #957 on: May 21st, 2007, 10:22pm »

Could be, I guess... but google "problems at uspto" and you'll get a bunch of articles that seem to suggest the problem is more widespread.  In particular, I'm thinking of the one entitled "Patent Examiners Battle Stress" on FCW News.  See:

"Stern said that strained employee/manager relations at USPTO stem from managers who "don't respect the input and advice they get from their employees." A related cause is patent examiners' discontent with what they say are unreasonable production quotas that examiners must work overtime to meet. "This is a legal sweatshop here," Stern said. "The truth is we could do a better job with more time."
IP Logged
daven

« Reply #958 on: May 22nd, 2007, 3:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 21st, 2007, 10:22pm, lsi wrote:
Could be, I guess... but google "problems at uspto" and you'll get a bunch of articles that seem to suggest the problem is more widespread.  In particular, I'm thinking of the one entitled "Patent Examiners Battle Stress" on FCW News.  See:

"Stern said that strained employee/manager relations at USPTO stem from managers who "don't respect the input and advice they get from their employees." A related cause is patent examiners' discontent with what they say are unreasonable production quotas that examiners must work overtime to meet. "This is a legal sweatshop here," Stern said. "The truth is we could do a better job with more time."

This is something I'm still not sure of.. Does "voluntary overtime" mean you're working unpaid overtime?
IP Logged
Guest_Examiner
« Reply #959 on: May 22nd, 2007, 4:15pm »

Yes - Voluntary overtime is unpaid overtime

GS-5 and GS-7's are barred from working voluntary overtime

GS-9 and up are allowed to work voluntary overtime if they wish

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »