The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 4:24pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342996 times)
Hj
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #95 on: May 19th, 2005, 4:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You HAVE to post on JARS. There is no way around it.
IP Logged
mistersilver

Email

« Reply #96 on: May 20th, 2005, 12:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HJ is correct.

I wanted to tell everyone who contributed to this forum/thread thanks!  

I do have questions for the patent examiner at the USPTO and people living in D.C.

1.  What advices would you give to a new examiner?  I want to be prepare and well informed before I start working.
2.  How much time should I spend reviewing a case for the first 6 months (GS-7 Step 10) and after the accelerated promotion.  I want to be the best and not underperform.  I really look forward to the USPTO..many thanks in advance!
This is off the subject but---(sorry but I am NOT familiar with the area)
3.  I am relocating in June and wanted to know is it more fun to live in D.C. or Alexandria.  I realized the rent will be high and the metro ride will be around 30 minutes (riding from D.C.), but I want to make the best in life while I am young.
4.  What condos do you recommend to buy?  In previous post someone mentioned to avoid buying a condo along the Green line?--whyHuh

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2006, 10:51pm by mistersilver » IP Logged
chuckie_cheese

Email

« Reply #97 on: May 22nd, 2005, 12:30pm »

mistersilver

I just relocated from S.Fla. for my 5/31 start date.  As far as location is concerned I noticed that the D.C. Metro area is pretty similar to South Fla. in terms of the neighboring cities proximity to each other.  The huge difference is the transit system.  I decided to rent in Arlington which is about 4 metro stops or 10min from the PTO and a few stops outside of D.C.  

While living in South Fla.  I was driving about 110 miles round trip so I had to get up extremely early to beat the traffic or leave pretty late to avoid it.  Based on my experience I would try to avoid moving too far from the office or too far from the metro.  If you decide to commute believe me it will eventually get tiring and impact your energy levels at work.  

As far as the price of housing is concerned...whew!!!

I looked at a few places before deciding so if you need any first hand impressions of some of the places I visited before deciding you can e-mail me at shedrickc@yahoo.com.  Also, take a look at apartmentratings.com if you decide to rent.

hope this helps
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #98 on: May 22nd, 2005, 4:49pm »

About the commute.  In VA you can ride the VRE from as far south
as Fredericksburg.  There is a VRE stop at essentially the
same place as the Metro stop near the PTO.

Of course your commute would still be lengthy, but if you are
not actually driving, the commute is still tolerable, and
you may find housing at a more reasonable price than in
Arlington, Alexandria, or DC.

As far as the time to spend on a case, the amount of time depends
on what Art Unit you belong to.  Some technical areas are presumed
to be more difficult and thu allow examiners more hours per case.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2005, 4:51pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Harry Chu
« Reply #99 on: May 23rd, 2005, 8:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was asked to fill out some forms including a security form during my interview. Is filling out the forms mandatory no matter what? I took one of the forms home because I didn't have all the information and told the interviewer that I would mail it. But I am wondering now whether I still have to fill this form out since I have not been formally offered a job yet though the interview went well. Anyone has any idea or has any experience like this? Many thanks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »