The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 4:17pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342990 times)
mk1023

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #905 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 5:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After a little research it seems that supplemental wages are taxed differently than regular wages. I'd rather have the money now than wait for the tax refund, so I think I'll claim a few more allowances.
IP Logged
jimmmafyzzzz1
« Reply #906 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 1:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks someexaminer, that's a big help.  I do really like the job and I'd like to stay here.  I will say that production requirements, however, aren't a joke.  This is not a trivial job to learn and it's challenging.  I have a very good background for it (several degrees from good schools and lots of experience in engineering in academia, industry and at national labs) and it's tough for me to get my work done.  I like it much better than anything I've done before, but it's not easy.  I'm only making a big deal about this because I've read posting in which people describe examining as easy and/or repetitive.  Maybe after a while, but definitely not after 4 months...
IP Logged
BLDYWOG

« Reply #907 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 12:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Don't kid yourself into a false sense of security. Check your offer letter, you are career conditional for the first year. That means, you are on a one year probation! They do not want to retain anyone who does not make the numbers. I came in as GS11 and had some personal issues. They were getting ready to get rid of me at the end of year. Fortunetely, I transfered to another non examining dept. in PTO. This was back in 1991, things may have changed now. Good Luck!!!
IP Logged
sfs
« Reply #908 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:37am »

That seems strange.  Wouldn't they demote you before they would fire you?  I mean, if you were making an honest effort, but you were just having trouble getting up to production in the first year.  After all, they start people will all kinds of different production requirements.

How did they let you know they were going to fire you?  

What are the non examining units at the PTO?  Do you have to have a JD to work in them?
IP Logged
Katrina
« Reply #909 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 6:58pm »

I just applied to the USPTO on March 27th and yesterday (April 2nd) I received the "Notice of Results". It basically said I was tentatively qualified, but I had to fill out the candidate questionnaire (which I had already done once) within 48 hours to be eligible for the cut-off date for which I applied. I did that yesterday.  

How long do you think it will take, pending interview, etc., to start the PTA?

I am finishing up my bachelor's in Human Biology (with a good enough GPA to start at GS 7) on June 28th, what do you think my chances are at getting a job?  

I did here that they plan to hire 1200 examiners a year through 2010, and there were even commercials here in Lansing, MI advertising for the position...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »