The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 10th, 2019, 4:43pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 353737 times)
mk1023

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #885 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 2:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:

Wow. The step from when you faxed in your SF/OF forms until when they gave you the formal offer took a full month?  That was when they were under the JARS system though, and you were also working everything out to get your transcript adjudicated so you can work as an EE?

Yep that step took a month. Those issues were a factor, but HR really didn't have their act together. My caseworker didn't know I hadn't received a formal offer.

Quote:

Another question: What's the rule on overtime? How long must you work at PTO before you can start working and getting paid for OT? I heard there is a new rule where you can't claim OT until after you finish the PTA, so 8 months after you start then? Thanks...

The latest info I have is that it is permissible but not really encouraged. Also, OT must be approved by your trainer (they have complete discretion). My trainer is saying he'll consider letting us work OT/comp time after four months.
IP Logged
daven

« Reply #886 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 3:45pm »

Who are you guys listing for the three required references for the application?  I'm not sure I would want to list my current supervisor.  Not that he would say anything negative.. just that I wouldn't want him to know what I'm up to in case things fall through.Smiley  thanks
IP Logged
daven

« Reply #887 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 3:54pm »

on Mar 15th, 2007, 6:26am, mandejapan wrote:
What are people's experiencies/opinions on starting as a GS-9 vs. GS-7? I once heard that the burn out rate for those who start at GS-9 is much higher. Is it very difficult to start at a GS-9 when one has no prior examining experience? With the new, more extensive/time-consuming Patent Training Academy are people that are starting at GS-9s still able to make the 6 month accelerated promotion to GS-11? Or is that rare?

I haven't applied yet and would like to hear opinions about the same thing.  Given how expensive the area is, I would probably accept gs-9 realizing I'll end up working extra hard to beat the learning curve.  If you would rather go in and do the minimum number of hours, it may be a good idea to ramp up more slowly by starting at gs-7.  The work day goes by fast when you're very busy so I doubt I would get burned out.  Then again, I have no idea what it's like up there.Smiley
IP Logged
mk1023

« Reply #888 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 5:34pm »

A balanced disposal (BD) is a New Count (N) and a Disposal Count (D). In the TC, BD=(N+D)/2 whereas in training BD=(2N+D)/3. For 100% success, you need:
BD=Hours worked/(Expectancy)=x*Hours/(GS12 expectancy)

GS-5: x=.55
GS-7: x=.7
GS-9: x=.8
GS-11: x=.9
GS-12: x=1

There isn't a huge difference between GS-7 and GS-9 production requirements.
IP Logged
anonyguest
« Reply #889 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 5:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 15th, 2007, 5:34pm, mk1023 wrote:
A balanced disposal (BD) is a New Count (N) and a Disposal Count (D). In the TC, BD=(N+D)/2 whereas in training BD=(2N+D)/3. For 100% success, you need:
BD=Hours worked/(Expectancy)=x*Hours/(GS12 expectancy)

GS-5: x=.55
GS-7: x=.7
GS-9: x=.8
GS-11: x=.9
GS-12: x=1

There isn't a huge difference between GS-7 and GS-9 production requirements.

Newbies won't be getting disposal counts for a long time, and the dockets i've seen coming out of the training academy are anemic. Eight months on the job and no docket it pretty sad, meaning lots of work coming out of training. Getting a promotion in the academy or shortly thereafter might be more of a curse then a blessing with no disposals when the amendments start to flow.

I started as a gs9, so when the promotions have come i've had a nice mature docket to help cushion the production bumps.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »