The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 3:32pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342973 times)
plex

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #865 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 3:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First stop, New York and California, beyond that, I have no clue. Those are just areas with a particularly dense amount of firms.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007, 3:36pm by plex » IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #866 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 5:07pm »

on Feb 28th, 2007, 11:33am, kkl wrote:
Last time when I read on USPTO website, the agency mentioned about opening satellite offices. Anybody has any ideas about when/where the agency might do it

I've never heard of a timetable for doing this.  I'd guess that someplace in  southeast or midwest with a lower cost of living than DC, maybe near engineering schools would be more appealing to Uncle Sam than the areas around NY or CA law firms.

IP Logged

Isaac
GuestV
« Reply #867 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 5:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The last time I heard about it, the new office was going to be in Denver...
IP Logged
mandejapan

« Reply #868 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:08pm »

on Feb 24th, 2007, 10:07pm, jjs wrote:
i have interviewed and applied for an examiner position, just graduated with an MS Mechanical Engineering, and am hoping for an offer.

has anyone heard of people getting an MBA while working as an examiner?  i know that there is no reimbursement for business degrees.  but do people do part-time MBA programs while working?  i'd like to get an MBA, focusing on entrepreneurship...  is it worthwhile to have a patent background?  it seems like it would be easy to do with the flex scheduling, and i'd probably start business school after training, and leave the PTO after my MBA is done.

i appreciate any input, thanks much!

I haven't heard of anyone doing an MBA, but I'm sure if people are able to do law school part time, then it would be possible to do business school part time as well. You're right about them not reimbursing for MBAs currently, at least from what I've heard from friends that work there. They say PTO will only reimburse for law school or related technical training (masters in engineering, etc).

I wouldn't mention your plans of doing an MBA and possibly leaving the PTO after a couple of years.  Most SPEs probably wouldn't want to hire someone that they know is already planning to leave after a couple of years from the get-go.

I've considered doing an MBA as well, especially in my current gov't job since they are willing to pay for it, and I would consider doing it too at the PTO if I could somehow get them to pay for it. Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:44pm by mandejapan » IP Logged
mk1023

« Reply #869 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:34pm »

Okay, the first two weeks of the February PTA are over. For those that care, of the 120-some people in the February class, there are about 15 females (mostly in chemical or environmental) and about 15 older/experienced people. As far as I know there is only one JD. Only other comment I have on the rest of the class is that it is very diverse. I'm the only person in my lab with two white American-born parents. The first day consisted entirely of filling out forms. Make sure you do the SF-85 on the computer because they're going to make you change everything to reflect your new address/job. Next day we began in the labs. My lab consists of three columns of cube desks (6-4-6) with 4x4=16 desks at the front of the room in line with the four desk column. Computers are all equipped with two monitors Smiley. Anyway, we "examined" a case and wrote an office action as a group (with no direction from the trainers). We then had a mock interview with some PTO attorney that told us everything we did wrong (which was a lot). The next day we had to do a presentation about the whole process. Five labs did skits that were actually very funny. The other three (including my group) did normal presentations. Since then, everything has been mostly lectures/presentations, lab discussion/exercises, and quizzes. Some lectures are dull (like one on the MPEP where the lecturer went into ridiculously trivial detail) and some are interesting (35 USC 112 1st paragraph). The one "life skills" lecture we've had (about working well with others) was worthless. IMO they should drop those from the program. The quizzes are super easy (you can finish in five minutes if you want) and most likely your trainer isn't going to care what you get (mine doesn't) unless you get zeros. The most important factor in your experience in the PTA is going to be your trainer. The academy is well thought out, but it was not created by professional teachers. There is a lot of "junk" built into the schedule. If you're someone like me that can't stand unproductive activities, you'd be driven nuts if you had a trainer that followed the schedule exactly. It's much more informative to just have Q&A in lab than to do exercises that won't really help you learn. Anyway, I'm not overwhelmed at this point. There are five cases in my docket, but I'm not going to be working on them anytime soon.

In case anyone cares, I'm living in Alexandria about 3.5 miles NW of the PTO. Driving to work is not a problem as I go entirely on surface streets. Parking is plentiful in the garages but PTO employees drive way too fast inside. It wouldn't surprise me if there was an accident per week. Parking cost is only $90 per month (a small price to pay for being able to leave my apartment at 8 a.m. for 8:30 start time) and with 24/7 access you can park and take the metro into DC at your convenience.

Something that sucks is the way the bonuses are handled. For a 2/20 start date, I am not going to be receiving my bonus until the end of March. My first payday is 3/14. The lesson is that you shouldn't expect to receive money immediately after you start.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:36pm by mk1023 » IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »