The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 26th, 2019, 5:54am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 343093 times)
someone out there
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #85 on: May 15th, 2005, 10:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is the first time I've ever posted here...I thought I should provide some input as a PTO insider.

I'm a patent examiner in the Biotech/Chem Technology Center and contrary to what has been posted here, my tech center has hired Masters and Bachelors level people in the past few years.  So there is hope for those out there seeking placement in the Biotech center.  I only have a Masters, and I am certainly glad I went ahead and applied for the job despite being told that the Biotech Center only hires Phds.  

However, in my Biotech orientation class (I've only been at the office for a short while), the majority were Phds...there were a significant number of former postdocs (plenty of former NIH employees) and quite a few lawyers.  Very much unlike the other Tech centers, where the majority of the new hires only have a Bachelors and are more likely fresh out of undergrad.

If you're interested in obtaining a position as a patent examiner at the PTO, I would recommend contacting  the appropriate hiring coordinators listed on the PTO website.  I emailed one hiring coordinator to set up an informational interview in order to find out more about patent examining and possibilities of employment.  He kindly accepted my request for an in-person interview, and though his Tech center (not Biotech) was mostly done with their hiring for the fiscal year, he invited me to email him my resume following my visit.  Only a week later I heard from a supervisor from the Biotech center requesting an interview.  Then, a couple of weeks later, I was also contacted by a supervisor in the Tech center of the hiring coordinator I spoke to...apparently something had opened up.  Clearly making good contacts will lead to great results in seeking employment at the PTO or anywhere else for that matter.  A bit of luck also helps.  

I really like the job and am very pleased with my choice in coming to the office (no regrets... this is normally not typical for me in terms of other major life choices I have made in the past).  

Good luck to all applicants.  I hope this helps.
IP Logged
Harry Chu
« Reply #86 on: May 16th, 2005, 2:04pm »

Question:  
Does PTO hire experienced people?
I have 19 years of industry experience in communications (EE mostly)
Thanks.
IP Logged
« Reply #87 on: May 16th, 2005, 2:35pm »

What are the interviews with supervisors like?  

Do they grill you with technical questions? or is it more along the lines of them seeing if you really want to work there, since they have so many people that quit after a short period of time?

Do they really hire a lot of new graduates?  I've heard lots of people say that.  Is it true?  Is there anybody who got hired into TC 2100, 2600 or 2800 straight out of college?

IP Logged
« Reply #88 on: May 16th, 2005, 2:37pm »

By straight out of college, I mean with a BS only - no graduate degree and no experience.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #89 on: May 16th, 2005, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The TC that hire electrical engineers hire both experienced
people and new graduates.  The interviewers are going to
probe as necessary to see if you can understand their technical
areas.  If your transcript or experience indicates lots of
relevant background, the technical probing will be over quickly.
The also want to make sure you can express yourself coherently,
and that you can handle an environment were production is
stressed.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »