The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2019, 2:54am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 346753 times)
mk1023

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #825 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 3:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It looks like I'm starting 2/19. Advice I have for people going through this process is to follow up with HR. I have been somewhat busy over the last month and didn't really follow up with them until the last few days. Turns out they decided to hire me about three weeks ago (it would have been nice if they had let me know).
IP Logged
Mike M
« Reply #826 on: Jan 13th, 2007, 4:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can anyone tell me what the retirement/pension pay is like for the USPTO?  Is it like the Navy, where you get half your salary after retirement if you put in 30 years?
IP Logged
Joe7451

« Reply #827 on: Jan 14th, 2007, 12:23am »

As I understand it, the majority of federal employees at all agencies and including the USPTO use the Federal Employees Retirement System.  The pension is basically 1%*(qualified years of federal service)*(average of your highest three years of pay in the federal government).  

There is also the Thrift Savings Plan (like a 401k), and social security which go into the mix.

There are enough terms and conditions of this to fill a series of books, which are on the OPM webpage: http://www.opm.gov/retire/html/library/fers.asp.

That site should be pretty useful.
-Joe
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2007, 12:23am by Joe7451 » IP Logged
Eric C. Jarsh
« Reply #828 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 12:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

how many law school graduates get a job with the USPTO as examiners? and what level are law school graduates usually started at? i know there is a division within the USPTO that hires only lawyers (office of the solicitor), and i was wondering what career opportunities are available for lawyers at the USPTO, either as an examiner or the solicitor's office. thanks!
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #829 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:01am »

on Jan 21st, 2007, 12:18pm, Eric C. Jarsh wrote:
how many law school graduates get a job with the USPTO as examiners? and what level are law school graduates usually started at? i know there is a division within the USPTO that hires only lawyers (office of the solicitor), and i was wondering what career opportunities are available for lawyers at the USPTO, either as an examiner or the solicitor's office. thanks!

The percentage of law school graduates hired as examiners is relatively small but not zero.   For example, three of the junior associates here (including myself) are former examiners who had law degrees when hired by the PTO.   Some supervisors won't hire law school graduates because they expect difficulty in retaining them more than a year or two.

Generally speaking, new law graduates with no legal experience should expect to be offered salaries based on their technical credentials.   For engineers a typical starting level would be GS-7 or GS-9 probably at step 10.

I'm not familiar with the details of the positions in the solicitor's office, but typically hiring is very competitive and the positions usually specify a year of experience (usually can be satisfied by examining at the PTO)   The positions are fairly often filled by examiner's with law degrees.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »