The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 22nd, 2019, 9:20pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342841 times)
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #795 on: Dec 7th, 2006, 2:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I qualify at GS09 but does that necessarily mean they will offer me GS09? The recruitment incentive table at benefits page seems precise (which I can't link because of the board software) enough that I wonder if those aren't their standards.

The difference between GS07/10 and GS09/8 is almost $7K, although with everything I've read up to this point about production levels I might be better off starting at GS07.
56797+7703=64500
62624+8650=71274

The HR person I talked to called me after she sent the email asking to switch my paperwork to the February class (January was full). That was 10 days ago so I was wondering if I should start to get concerned. Hopefully they're just a little behind.
IP Logged
guest5
« Reply #796 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 11:30am »

I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now. I am still unsure if i want to work for the USPTO. I just graduated and have an offer gs7-10. I also have an offer from a well known company as a software engineer. The $$$$ is what is tempting me to join the PTO. The pay difference is almost $15K!!  

What would you do Huh
IP Logged
Kerri
« Reply #797 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 11:58am »

You can only make that decision yourself.  Understand that PTO is a lot of reading and paperwork, whereas the software engineering position will be problem solving and coding.  

You have to ask yourself which would you rather do?

I believe you can be successful at either.  But only you can decide in what direction you want your career to go.  

Have you asked the company if they will match your PTO offer or will up the ante on their offer?  

When my husband was looking at jobs a few years ago, he had competing offers as well.  If you really want a job, but the offer is lower than others, make sure your employer knows that.  Tell them, "hey, i really want to come work here, but I have higher offers elsewhere.  Can you make me a higher or better offer?".  The worse thing they can say is that is their final offer.  

IP Logged
mom agent
« Reply #798 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 12:52pm »

Thanks for all your postings, they have been very useful.  I'm considering joining USPTO.  I have a few questions if anyone can give me some insights that would be much appreciated.

1. If I send out my resume to USPTO today, how long should I expect to hear from them?  Can I follow up with HR?  What is the hiring procedure like?  Is it very competitive in getting an offer?

2. I have three kids in (preschool and kindergarden ages).  Fist of all, thanks for the previous postings about the good school district - Fairfax County, I'll defintely look into that area.  How flexible is the working hours from PTO?  Can I leave early to pick up the kids?  and make up the hours in the evenings/weekends by working from home?  

3.  I have a MS degree and worked in the biotech field for 5 years.  I also worked in the patent field for 2 years and passed the patent bar exam.  What level should I expect to enter as a patent examiner?

Thanks much for your input.
IP Logged
GUEST--
« Reply #799 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 2:27pm »

I will be visiting the PTO soon and would like to check out a couple apartments in the area.  Which 2 or 3 apartment complexes in the immediate area are worth looking at?  I plan on seeing the ****n at Carlyle.  Is this the same place as the "****n Carlyle" that several other posters have previously mentioned?  Does anyone recommend or not recommend these apartments?  

I appreciate the help.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »