The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2019, 5:28pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums
  
  
Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 351045 times)
guest
Guest
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #550 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 9:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 30th, 2006, 10:41am, paul1234 wrote:
isaac  
is it even possiable to live in washington on 57000  a year?

 
These kind of questions are really moot without knowing more about your situation.  You could be single or married with two kids, have two cars or none, etc.  If you are single, there is not much to worry about even if your rent is high.  Even less so if you are getting a signing bonus and can use it to pay for any student loans or other lingering things.
IP Logged
guest
Guest
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #551 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 9:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 29th, 2006, 3:52pm, dwashington wrote:
I have applied for jobs at the Patent Office and never get interviewed.  I am a NHIV at the Missile Defense Agency which is basically a 15 step 2 or 14 step 8.  I am a Mechanical engineer with a master's from Hopkins.  What gives with the USPTO when it comes to hiring.  THe only thing I can think of is that my rank disqualifies me from working there.  Any other suggestions or rationales would be helpful before I apply again.   I should at least get an interview.

 
The only rationale I can think of is that the USPTO is just hiring mainly EEs and CoEs at the present time hence the signing bonuses for them specifically (since, contrary to popular belief, there are certain units that don't have a huge backlog).  Of course, this reason could be completely wrong.
IP Logged
Isaac
Senior Member
****




   


Posts: 3472
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #552 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 6:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 30th, 2006, 9:45pm, guest wrote:

 
The only rationale I can think of is that the USPTO is just hiring mainly EEs and CoEs at the present time hence the signing bonuses for them specifically (since, contrary to popular belief, there are certain units that don't have a huge backlog).  Of course, this reason could be completely wrong.  

 
The required production for an examiner at a GS-14 level is extremely high.   It's hard to imagine a brand new hire being able to ramp his production up to the required level before getting fired.
IP Logged

Isaac
paul1234
Newbie
*




   


Posts: 13
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #553 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 6:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

isaac  
are you saying the all the new hires have a higher than normal chanse to get fired before reaching gs-14 levels.  
i am planning to visit washington on sep 6 would really appricieate to meet with anyone who works in the uspto office to talk and ask questions.  
i have a low gpa ( 2.8 BSEE from purdue) but i while a go i took the LSAT and got a 165 is there any school in the  area possiable to get in (like Howard) or should i retake the LSAT.  
What is the usual increase in pay when getting promoted as i understand it is usually every year, and how do you juno through the steps?
Regarding the other post i am married with no kids so is 57000 a year resonable possibility to live upon in  the ****n Carelyle.
Thank you for all your help I am very greatfull for all your responces.
IP Logged
Isaac
Senior Member
****




   


Posts: 3472
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #554 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 7:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 31st, 2006, 6:31am, paul1234 wrote:
isaac  
are you saying the all the new hires have a higher than normal chanse to get fired before reaching gs-14 levels.

 
No.  The typical new hire has the normal chance of getting fired or quitting before reaching the gs-14 level and of successfully making it to GS-14.
 
My comment was directed only to the case of someone seeking to be hired at the GS-14 level.   I believe the probability for him/her to reach the required production level prior to the end of the probationary period to be problematically low.
 
Quote:
i have a low gpa ( 2.8 BSEE from purdue) but i while a go i took the LSAT and got a 165 is there any school in the  area possiable to get in (like Howard) or should i retake the LSAT.

 
I don't know if you can get into Howard.   If you are working at the PTO, you'll probably want to attend a school with an evening program.  Howard does not have one.  
 
As for retaking the LSAT, I understand that many schools average the results if you take the test more than once.   That would make it difficult to dramatically improve your score above 165.
 
 
Quote:
What is the usual increase in pay when getting promoted as i understand it is usually every year, and how do you juno through the steps?

 
I think there is series of posts in this forum that explores that in exhaustive detail.   I'd recommend looking them up.
 
Quote:
Regarding the other post i am married with no kids so is 57000 a year resonable possibility to live upon in  the ****n Carelyle.

 
You can live in the DC area on 57k if you are single and don't have a huge debt load.   You won't be buying a house on that salary though.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.2!
Forum software copyright © 2000-2004 Yet another Bulletin Board