The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 17th, 2019, 7:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 346631 times)
paul1234

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #545 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

isaac  
is it even possiable to live in washington on 57000  a year?
so you saying even if i work hard and reach all the goal i might never reach those high paying salaries?
i have been told by SPE that i can reach them by 6-7 years on the interview than i called and talk to another HR person and she said it will take much longer to  reach above 100000 a year even if you reach all the goals? So how long does it take if you reach all the goals?
They offer me 8000 for insentive should i take it and sign for four years? what if they fire me i will have to give it back?
do alot of people get fired  or most of them quit?
IP Logged
« Reply #546 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 10:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

from what i've heard, it'll take generally 7 years to reach gs 14 provided that you stay on top of things and are able to meet and surpass your production.

With 57000, you'll be able to live in dc metro area, but don't expect to feel rich like you would if you lived in a less expensive area.

[quote author=paul1234 ]isaac  
is it even possiable to live in washington on 57000  a year?
so you saying even if i work hard and reach all the goal i might never reach those high paying salaries?
i have been told by SPE that i can reach them by 6-7 years on the interview than i called and talk to another HR person and she said it will take much longer to  reach above 100000 a year even if you reach all the goals? So how long does it take if you reach all the goals?
They offer me 8000 for insentive should i take it and sign for four years? what if they fire me i will have to give it back?
do alot of people get fired  or most of them quit? [/quote]
IP Logged
J Smith
« Reply #547 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 1:34pm »

on Aug 29th, 2006, 2:51pm, guest wrote:

Depending on your starting date, you may want to consider getting a furnished studio or 1-BR on a short-term lease (e.g. 3 months).  That would give you more time to learn the area and the different housing options/arrangements that are available.

Thank you for the info.  Do you/anyone know of any apartments that offer short-term leases and are furnished?  I have a car but would really like to be within walking distance of public transportation.  I've been browsing non-furnished rentals and found a few that look nice like Archstone and The Encore.  It seems like a lot of people live in the ****n Carlyle despite the high rent.  Can anyone give me a few names of apartment complexes that are lower priced than Carlyle and in a decent neighborhood in case I can't get into a furnished place?  thanks  
 Smiley
IP Logged
daven

« Reply #548 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 3:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

guest, if you're considering a job that requires writing, you really should put more effort into spelling.  "Insentive" is reasonable for engineering but probably wouldn't look good on legal documents..  I'm not saying it to be rude and I certainly have my own challenges with writing.  Most of us engineers only had two or three required writing classes.  

I've also considered applying for the patent office.  I would need to make 33% more around DC to maintain my current standard of living.  I actually drove up to the patent office awhile back to see the area for myself.  The carlyle is a very nice high-rise and is literally a 2-3 minute walk from the patent office buildings.  The money you save in parking fees should be taken into account when considering the carlyle's high rent (the patent office parking garages aren't free).

I'm sure I would like the work.. but still haven't convinced myself I would enjoy living up there.

Don't take the job just for the starting bonus.  Believe me, that money goes fast.  I got $4k bonus to stay 1 year at my current job and, after taxes, that money was gone in a week!

best of luck
IP Logged
« Reply #549 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 9:28pm »

on Aug 29th, 2006, 2:47pm, guest wrote:
I'll be starting at the PTO in mid-September.

I was just curious as to the possibility for examiners to "lateral" to other art units (e.g. chemical to biotech or vice-versa) assuming that such person is equally qualified for a position in each area.

From the impression I get, if you are a lot more skilled in one art unit than another (work experience or college focus), or that other art unit does need people, then there's a "decent" chance of it happening during training.

However, if you are about as equally skilled in the art unit you are assigned to as the art unit you want to go to, or if they don't need people really, there is not much of a chance.

When you are being hired, there usually is a specific art unit for you to go into in mind even if you don't know it right away.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »