The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 14th, 2019, 9:44am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 350705 times)
J Smith
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #535 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 2:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just got hired.  Grin  I am really looking forward to this new position and new location.  I am driving there from CA  and am wondering if anyone has any experience with finding a place to share through craigslist.  Are roomate agencies more effective than responding to personal ads for rentals?  thanks.
IP Logged
« Reply #536 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 2:47pm »

I'll be starting at the PTO in mid-September.

I was just curious as to the possibility for examiners to "lateral" to other art units (e.g. chemical to biotech or vice-versa) assuming that such person is equally qualified for a position in each area.
IP Logged
« Reply #537 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 2:51pm »

on Aug 29th, 2006, 2:28pm, J Smith wrote:
I just got hired.  Grin  I am really looking forward to this new position and new location.  I am driving there from CA  and am wondering if anyone has any experience with finding a place to share through craigslist.  Are roomate agencies more effective than responding to personal ads for rentals?  thanks.

Depending on your starting date, you may want to consider getting a furnished studio or 1-BR on a short-term lease (e.g. 3 months).  That would give you more time to learn the area and the different housing options/arrangements that are available.

IP Logged
dwashington

« Reply #538 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 3:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have applied for jobs at the Patent Office and never get interviewed.  I am a NHIV at the Missile Defense Agency which is basically a 15 step 2 or 14 step 8.  I am a Mechanical engineer with a master's from Hopkins.  What gives with the USPTO when it comes to hiring.  THe only thing I can think of is that my rank disqualifies me from working there.  Any other suggestions or rationales would be helpful before I apply again.   I should at least get an interview.
IP Logged
« Reply #539 on: Aug 29th, 2006, 4:05pm »

on Aug 29th, 2006, 3:52pm, dwashington wrote:
I have applied for jobs at the Patent Office and never get interviewed.  I am a NHIV at the Missile Defense Agency which is basically a 15 step 2 or 14 step 8.  I am a Mechanical engineer with a master's from Hopkins.  What gives with the USPTO when it comes to hiring.  THe only thing I can think of is that my rank disqualifies me from working there.  Any other suggestions or rationales would be helpful before I apply again.   I should at least get an interview.

Stay where you are and don't bother with the PTO. Trust me, you'll regret it. You must be making what, $120K or so? Are your hours reasonable for that kind of bank? If you come to the PTO you'll start about $75K (gs11/10) at best, maybe less (gs9). For that you'll have to grind thru and work unpaid OT. Don't bother.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »