The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2019, 3:42pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 351009 times)
Isaac

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #500 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 9:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 12th, 2006, 9:49am, a bee wrote:
That makes sense.  Then me ask this, if you apply for one area, lets say hydraulic systems and then u get an opportunity in another area, do you have to redo JARS or do they just use your existing application?

As I recall the questions on JARS were area specific.  By not filling out an area specific questionaire, you probably won't appear to be a strong candidate in the other area.
IP Logged

Isaac
patent.b

Re: ****n Carlyle
« Reply #501 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 1:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are quite a few examiners living here, including new hires.  
     Additionally, there are transportation benefits!  It is close enough to walk to work, so you don't need a car.  Close enough to walk to the metro, and the building sells discounted metro tickets.  Upon request, the building provides each resident with a monthly DASH bus pass for free.  I figure between parking and insurance, it saves me at least $200/mo., plus the time I'd lose in traffic or commuting.  But I suppose overall it depends on each person's circumstances.

NOTE: I'm not advertising . . . I'm answering a posted question.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2006, 5:35pm by patent.b » IP Logged

B
Re: ****n Carlyle
« Reply #502 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 5:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You should ask them for a price break for doing advertising for them here.
IP Logged
Inquisitive Mind
« Reply #503 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 10:20pm »

I see peoples response about the interview and i was wondering about techinical questions. Are we just looking at general knowledge of my area (what i learned in my class) or in depth explanations about specifics?
IP Logged
« Reply #504 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 8:24am »

I just received an unofficial offer and the SPE wants me to start right away and make it into the last 3(?) wk training course.  I currently work for a different govt agency, but I was looking for a change and a little less travel since I just had a baby.  I currently work very hard at my job, but I am not required to put in a lot of OT.

At first I thought this job was very flexible and family friendly, but I am starting to have doubts based on what I've read online.  I will be taking a pretty hefty paycut for this position, but am hoping to make the promotions at the schedule they are allowable (6m and then 1 yr each).  Is this reasonable?  It seems like to potential to climb the GS ladder is better than at my current agency (higher GS-level at non-competative status), but I can not work excessive OT to get there.  

I am also worried about the family friendly aspect (we have a great home daycare so we don't need the on-site daycare).  My husband works later afternoons, evenings, and a lot of weekends, so I can not work very late or a lot of OT.  I would not do this to my child (never seeing her) and I couldn't afford the extra child care (esp with the paycut!).  

I think the job would be an interesting change for me, but is it too difficult with young kids?

I need to make a decision this week, so any input would be great.  Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »