The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 14th, 2019, 5:08pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 352073 times)
Jonathan

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #490 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 11:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good to know.
IP Logged
« Reply #491 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 1:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My hiring package was submitted and processed by HR last week. I called to check the status this week and they told me that I had to be in the top 3 of this list before they could extend the official offer. Does anyone know anything about this list or how long it might be before i get an offer or if i should start looking elsewhere?
IP Logged
« Reply #492 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 7:55pm »

on Aug 9th, 2006, 1:26pm, guest wrote:
My hiring package was submitted and processed by HR last week. I called to check the status this week and they told me that I had to be in the top 3 of this list before they could extend the official offer. Does anyone know anything about this list or how long it might be before i get an offer or if i should start looking elsewhere?

need more details on your situation... when did you turn in your jars, when did you interview, with who and so on
IP Logged
« Reply #493 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 4:23am »

Take HR with a grain of salt. One day they quote my transcripts to me, the next day they say they can't find them.  

HR has to find you qualified from JARS and transcripts, and a SPE has to recommend hiring you. If those two things happen, you should be good.

In normal government hiring, HR goes over the applications and awards points for qualifications. They make piles of best qualified, plain qualified, and thanks anyway. The veterans get some extra points. Then the top three (or so) by the points are pulled in for interviews. But this process assumes a single opening. USPTO wants to hire 1000 examiners a year, so interview at least 100 a month. Even if 75 of these are EE/CE, there is still room.  

HR will tell you that they will pass some apps to the SPEs from JARS, probably the top three. But the boards confirm my experience that it's better not to rely on that at all. Do Jars, get HR to admit you are qualified, then go directly to the SPE and get him/her to ask HR to hire you.
IP Logged
a bee
« Reply #494 on: Aug 11th, 2006, 6:08pm »

Do be a strong candidate in JARS, what do you normally need as far as scores go?  3,4, or 5s and how many?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »