The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 18th, 2019, 10:01pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 351073 times)
smokie

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #470 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:54pm, Isaac wrote:

I did not see any listings for life science job fairs.

Did she say what dire thing would happen if you contacted a manager?  

I'm not all that surprised that HR doesn't want you to contact the managers (SPEs).  They are busy people.  OTOH, I assume that HR departments everywhere would say the same thing.  

No - I don't believe that there is a job fair coming up for the life sciencers either.  

I was never told of the DIRE thing that would happen to me if I contacted an SPE but her voice suggested that she would personally reach through the phone line and shake me if I dared think of doing such a thing  Cheesy  
I don't doubt that these guys (SPE's) are extremely busy and resent intrusions on their time - but I supposed that they would have been more willing to donate some of their time since their names and numbers are listed on the PTO website and it is stated that they can indeed be contacted to answer questions.    
Well, I e-mailed the contact I felt was incharge of looking to hire us (Molec. Biol. guys), but STRANGELY - no response.  I'm not really disappointed as I was not expecting much, I may give it one more try and see if I get anywhere.  
IP Logged
smokie

« Reply #471 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:12pm, guest wrote:

I'm not going to tell you to go against what the HR people are telling you, i wouldn't THINK of contradicting them.  Grin

Not sure you are going to want to work here if/when the new rule changes take effect this winter anyhow. They think they have problems retaining people now....

Ofcourse NOT!!!  One must never think to contradict the wisdom of the great HR department Grin  Atleast that's what they would have you think.

In my experience, bypassing HR is the best move one can make.  I finally started getting positives responses to my resume once I started going around HR and contacting the partners in the firms I am interested in working with (imagine that).  I wish I had learned this trick a few months ago.

I'll try again to contact an SPE and see what happens.  Although, I would love to move to the DC area and work at the PTO -  I will not be crying if I don't get a response and find a job closer to home, especially as you hinted that dark clouds be loomin' on the horizon.
IP Logged
« Reply #472 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 9:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

how long do you have to work to be able to contribute to ur 401k (TSP?)
IP Logged
« Reply #473 on: Aug 5th, 2006, 7:34am »

on Aug 4th, 2006, 9:23pm, guest wrote:
how long do you have to work to be able to contribute to ur 401k (TSP?)

Immediately.  However, the agency won't match the contribution until after a year, I believe.
IP Logged
Jack
« Reply #474 on: Aug 5th, 2006, 1:42pm »

How long does it take for the interview process to get rolling?  I summitted an application a little over a month ago and haven't heard anything.  Is that typical?  Is it a bad sign?  Thanks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »