The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2019, 2:31am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 346747 times)
Isaac

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #465 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:42pm, smokie wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I was not aware that there is a job fair coming up for those with backgrounds in the Life Sciences (mine being Molecular and Cell Biology specifically). I'll check out the PTO site and see if I find a listing.

I did not see any listings for life science job fairs.

Quote:

"- Wait for the managers to contact you and DO NOT contact them!"

Did she say what dire thing would happen if you contacted a manager?  

I'm not all that surprised that HR doesn't want you to contact the managers (SPEs).  They are busy people.  OTOH, I assume that HR departments everywhere would say the same thing.  

IP Logged

Isaac
« Reply #466 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 2:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Big day's comin! Who else is starting on Sept. 18th with me?
   Grin
IP Logged
« Reply #467 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:12pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:42pm, smokie wrote:
Re: "I would agree with Isaac and maybe add a couple tips"

Hello Guest -  
Thanks for the tip. I was not aware that there is a job fair coming up for those with backgrounds in the Life Sciences (mine being Molecular and Cell Biology specifically). I'll check out the PTO site and see if I find a listing.
By the way, what do you mean by "get your resume in the hands of someone who has to fill positions"? I had called the HR people at the PTO to check the status of my application - and I received an almost automated response from the lady I talked with:  
"- We have your JARS application"
"- have received the material you sent by mail (your resume, transcripts, etc)"
"- this material has yet to be entered into our database"
"- Hiring Managers are able and often do contact individuals based on the information present in the online JARS"
"- Wait for the managers to contact you and DO NOT contact them!"
At the end of that 'conversation' I was seriously expecting her to say: "bleep - this is the end of the recording"

Like i said, its not easy to get hired in some TC's and it might help to make some contacts. That's it. The hiring contacts are listed on the uspto careers website, WITH their phone numbers. I'm not going to tell you to go against what the HR people are telling you, i wouldn't THINK of contradicting them.   Grin

Not sure you are going to want to work here if/when the new rule changes take effect this winter anyhow. They think they have problems retaining people now....

IP Logged
« Reply #468 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:54pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:12pm, guest wrote:

Like i said, its not easy to get hired in some TC's and it might help to make some contacts. That's it. The hiring contacts are listed on the uspto careers website, WITH their phone numbers. I'm not going to tell you to go against what the HR people are telling you, i wouldn't THINK of contradicting them.   Grin

Not sure you are going to want to work here if/when the new rule changes take effect this winter anyhow. They think they have problems retaining people now....

what kind of rule changes?
IP Logged
« Reply #469 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 6:05pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:54pm, guest wrote:

what kind of rule changes?

Said enough already. Do a search, but you might not understand exactly how it will effect you. Won't really effect you until you've been there at least 12 months anyhow, until after final, which will be right after people are coming out of the new training cycle, with their new promotions and increased production goals in tow, with their new recruitment bonuses which makes them indentured (at least for a term, unless they have the money to pay back ... yeah, that going to happen!).

The POPA website must have some stuff on it. If you're hired support POPA, join POPA.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »