The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 18th, 2019, 9:53pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 352166 times)
smokie

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #460 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sounds good - thanks Issac.
IP Logged
« Reply #461 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:24am, smokie wrote:
Hey Guys -  
I have very recently started studying for the Patenet Bar Exam and am wondering whether I should reapply for a job with the USPTO after I pass it.
I am a molecular biologist by training (Ph.D) and had already sent in an application to the USPTO (a little over 2 months ago) in the hopes of being interviewed, but since I have not heard back, I can safely assume that I don't have much of a chance.
Will having passed the Patent Bar Exam boost my chances for an interview or should I just stick with finding a job in the private sector?

I would agree with Isaac and maybe add a couple tips.  

Try to get your resume in the hands of someone who has to fill positions - that is what helped me. Scan your resume in or get a pdf copy ready to email so they have it in their hands. Right now your resume is sitting in a pile somewhere with lots of others which will be shuffled through, but if you get it circulating it might help.

If you can get to a job fair (there is one soon i think) and make a personal contact it may also help. Certain TCs are just hot right now and others just don't need nearly as many people, so you have to not be shy about making personal contact and pursuing the job. Don't be pushy, but be persistent.

Good luck.

IP Logged
SeanUMD

Email

« Reply #462 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 6:35am »

Hello,

I am a graduate student at the University of Maryland getting ready to receive my PhD in Immunology in Dec -early January.  I'm interested in starting a career in patent law, but can not decide whether to pursue a career at the USPTO or at a private law firm.  Due to my indecisiveness, I plan on applying for jobs at both locations and then decide.  My question is, since I will not defend my thesis until Dec-early Jan. (meaning I can not leave my current lab position until then) when should I start applying for jobs?  I see all these posts on the forums stating that individuals have not heard back from the USPTO for 2 months or more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2006, 6:36am by SeanUMD » IP Logged
smokie

« Reply #463 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:24pm »

Hey Sean UMD
I am a newcomer to the field of patents as well and I have done just what you are thinking of doing, though I am not the least indecisive about where I should be applying.  I have applied for a job at the USPTO as well as in the private sector and I plan on working where ever I get the job!  In my mind, applying to one should'nt blind you the possibiilities of the other.
By the way, I've been lead to believe that if the PTO is interested in you and a position is available they will contact you fairly quickly.  In case nothing is available currently, they will still have your resume on file for a few months.  I would suggest you wait to contact the PTO until you are close to finishing or finished - that way they will have your most current resume on file.  In the meanwhile, keep checking the site to see if they plan on having a job fair related to your field of work some time soon.  
It has been MY experice that it will take some time to get the job you want (depending on your training - we life science guys are not as in demand as the Physical science guys  Undecided).  So, starting early may be key to spending the least amount of time job searching after you graduate.  Starting early will also get you making some contacts in the field and you would be surprised at how the feed back will help your resume evolve.  Start e-mailing (or calling if you are comfortable with that) partners in firms where you may want to work.  Ask around for internships or tech. advisor positions and explain your situation and if you don't have a job offer by the time you are done with your defense - just write back again and give them an updated resume.
I hope this helps you.
IP Logged
smokie

« Reply #464 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:42pm »

Re:  "I would agree with Isaac and maybe add a couple tips"

Hello Guest -  
Thanks for the tip.  I was not aware that there is a job fair coming up for those with backgrounds in the Life Sciences (mine being Molecular and Cell Biology specifically).  I'll check out the PTO site and see if I find a listing.
By the way, what do you mean by "get your resume in the hands of someone who has to fill positions"?  I had called the HR people at the PTO to check the status of my application - and I received an almost automated response from the lady I talked with:  
"- We have your JARS application"
"- have received the material you sent by mail (your resume, transcripts, etc)"
"- this material has yet to be entered into our database"
"- Hiring Managers are able and often do contact individuals based on the information present in the online JARS"
"- Wait for the managers to contact you and DO NOT contact them!"
At the end of that 'conversation' I was seriously expecting her to say: "bleep - this is the end of the recording"
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »