The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 25th, 2019, 2:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 348308 times)
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #455 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 7:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 31st, 2006, 1:35pm, EEsoon2bJD wrote:
Hello, and thank you to all the examiners/practitioners/applicants who have posted on this thread and kept it alive. I have found it to be extremely informative.

I am currently a registered patent agent, in my second year of law school, who is interested in a future career at the USPTO as an examiner. I have a BSEE.

My question is:

Should I stick around and get a MSEE prior to applying for an examiner's position at the USPTO? Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

Many of the people i work with at the PTO have MSEE degrees but were hired at the same level as those with just a BS (gs7/10). Grades are more important, from what i can tell. In fact i was hired at a higher level because of my work experience and decent GPA, but i don't have a MSEE (i have a non-tech Masters which helped not at all).

From what i've been told, an MSEE is just more of the same stuff as a BS. I'm not saying that myself, but i've been told by those with one, FWIW.

Good luck.
IP Logged
« Reply #456 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 7:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 31st, 2006, 7:29pm, guest wrote:

Many of the people i work with at the PTO have MSEE degrees but were hired at the same level as those with just a BS (gs7/10). Grades are more important, from what i can tell. In fact i was hired at a higher level because of my work experience and decent GPA, but i don't have a MSEE (i have a non-tech Masters which helped not at all).

From what i've been told, an MSEE is just more of the same stuff as a BS. I'm not saying that myself, but i've been told by those with one, FWIW.

Good luck.

By "same stuff" i meant that they wish they hadn't spend the extra time. I would tend to disagree, but with a law degree i'm not certain that it would really be worth the opportunity cost to you.

IP Logged
EEsoon2bJD

Email

« Reply #457 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 11:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Isaac, Guest -

Thank you for your prompt response. It would seem that I need to weigh what extrinsic benefit I would recieve from the degree with it's related opportunity cost (an additional 1 or 1.5 years of schooling). It is disheartening to hear that the USPTO doesn't give a MSEE very much, if any, weight...

As a sidenote, did anyone else notice that the incentive for EE's and CompE's has been decreased by 100 dollars? It is now 9,900 instead 10,000 for the ceiling of the bonus. Have a lot of EE's and CompE's been accepting positions? Or has the USPTO ran afoul of some federal regulation regarding bonus structures?

The information is on the USPTO jobfair site (I would normally post the link -- but I just registered this account).
IP Logged
smokie

« Reply #458 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:24am »

Hey Guys -  
I have very recently started studying for the Patenet Bar Exam and am wondering whether I should reapply for a job with the USPTO after I pass it.  
I am a molecular biologist by training (Ph.D) and had already sent in an application to the USPTO (a little over 2 months ago) in the hopes of being interviewed, but since I have not heard back, I can safely assume that I don't have much of a chance.
Will having passed the Patent Bar Exam boost my chances for an interview or should I just stick with finding a job in the private sector?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #459 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:56am »

on Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:24am, smokie wrote:
Hey Guys -  
I have very recently started studying for the Patenet Bar Exam and am wondering whether I should reapply for a job with the USPTO after I pass it.

I don't think passing the patent bar exam will greatly enhance your chances of getting a job at the USPTO.   I'd still recommend that you go ahead and take the exam as you have planned.  

If you want to work at the PTO, and you haven't gotten much response based on your application, I'd sugggest attempting to make some contacts with the hiring supervisors in art units that employ your technical specialty.   If nothing else, you may get an impression of when they will be hiring.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »