The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 25th, 2019, 12:51am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 348303 times)
Gator_PE
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #365 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 9:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on May 31st, 2006, 9:10pm, mithong wrote:

any chance that you could give me a clue as to what the interview is like? what kind of questions did they ask you? thanks.

Here's a complete rundown of my experience:

I submitted my resume through the career fair, and later that night there was an on-campus info session, where they talked about what patent examiners do, they described it similar to how the members of the thread have, except they didn't emphasize on the quotas.  

The next day they held on-campus interviews, I got the interview with one of the hiring managers. It was somewhat relaxed, and the questions he asked were pretty much behavioral. I am an EE, so he asked me about the classes I took, and which areas of EE interested me the most. He looked at my classes and since they revolved around computers and electronics, he asked why I chose that path. Then the other questions revovled around what attracted me to the Patent Examiner position. Interview lasted for about 45 minutes.

The next two interviews were over the phone, the first one   focused again on the classes I took, and they seemed to be interested with my semiconductor background, and asked me what I learned from those classes. The next phone interview was similar, and I could tell by then that I was already hired, w/o them telling me, since it's one of those conversations where they were asking me more about my classes and were trying to fit me in a position that I knew a lot about and was interested in.

Then I received a couple of calls from the hiring center asking me to fill out the necessary forms online (security, background check, etc). Then I eventually received a verbal offer over the phone, letting me know which technology center I was placed in. Then an offer letter came in the mail within a week.

All of this happened within the span of aout 2-2.5 months.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
IP Logged
Gator_PE
« Reply #366 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 9:35am »

any chance that you could give me a clue as to what the interview is like? what kind of questions did they ask you? thanks.

I submitted my resume through the career fair, and later that night there was an on-campus info session, where they talked about what patent examiners do, they described it similar to how the members of the thread have, except they didn't emphasize on the quotas.  

The next day they held on-campus interviews, I got the interview with one of the hiring managers. It was somewhat relaxed, and the questions he asked were pretty much behavioral. I am an EE, so he asked me about the classes I took, and which areas of EE interested me the most. He looked at my classes and since they revolved around computers and electronics, he asked why I chose that path. Then the other questions revovled around what attracted me to the Patent Examiner position. Interview lasted for about 45 minutes.

The next two interviews were over the phone, the first one   focused again on the classes I took, and they seemed to be interested with my semiconductor background, and asked me what I learned from those classes. The next phone interview was similar, and I could tell by then that I was already hired, w/o them telling me, since it's one of those conversations where they were asking me more about my classes and were trying to fit me in a position that I knew a lot about and was interested in.

Then I received a couple of calls from the hiring center asking me to fill out the necessary forms online (security, background check, etc). Then I eventually received a verbal offer over the phone, letting me know which technology center I was placed in. Then an offer letter came in the mail within a week.

IP Logged
Gator_PE
« Reply #367 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 9:35am »

IP Logged
Gator_PE
« Reply #368 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 9:37am »

sorry about the multiple posts, my connection was screwing up while I submitted the reply, and I guess it posted a reply everytime I reloaded
IP Logged
SICKOFITALL
« Reply #369 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:01am »

Just went there and got offer but refused it. Money is horrible. In some groups you need a PhD to get in. Also your work is only what examiners do NOT what an attorney would be does so minimal law and lots of reviewing science papers against patent claims.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »