The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2019, 7:29pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342881 times)
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #300 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Apr 28th, 2006, 8:07am, Isaac wrote:
Also when planning on your raise after promotion, do not assume that you will be going from something like a
GS-7 step 10 to a GS-9 step 10.  If you are at a step 10, you'll almost certainly end up at relatively low step in the next GS level after your promotion.    

Of course with each jump in GS level comes a corresponding increase in required production.

Yep, and the production quotes don't go by step but by grade - step has nothing to do with it.  

Isaac is also correct on promotions - they move you up one grade minus 3 steps (there is specific formula but that is the basic rule). This rule stops if you are step 1, then you go up a full gs level (i.e. from gs11/1 to a gs12/1. All that only holds through gs13 when you can go on the program (after 6 months i think - partial sig). It changes again after 13.

IP Logged
mike philips
« Reply #301 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 9:58am »

on Apr 27th, 2006, 11:47am, mike philips wrote:
I recently received an offer from HR. They gave me a week to decide but I would start in June. If I say yes, but another offer comes before me that I would like to take, would I get in trouble for declining after verbally committing to them?  

I wish they gave me more time to think about taking the job  Sad

any help please? Huh
IP Logged
« Reply #302 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 1:09pm »

on Apr 28th, 2006, 9:58am, mike philips wrote:

any help please? Huh

ask them for more time.
IP Logged
« Reply #303 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 5:44pm »

Is it a disadvantage for someone coming straight out of grad school with a PhD with no patent experience to start out at GS-11?  Does that mean that they are starting out with higher production expectations than, say, someone coming out with a masters at GS-9.  Is it feasible for a PhD with only lab experience to reach the goals?
IP Logged
ptoer
« Reply #304 on: May 1st, 2006, 11:16am »

on Apr 28th, 2006, 5:44pm, guest wrote:
Is it a disadvantage for someone coming straight out of grad school with a PhD with no patent experience to start out at GS-11?  Does that mean that they are starting out with higher production expectations than, say, someone coming out with a masters at GS-9.  Is it feasible for a PhD with only lab experience to reach the goals?

Production quotas go by your GS level, so yes your production expectations will be higher. As far as it being feasible to reach those goals, only time will tell how fast you can work and how well you pick up the job. It is easier to come in at a lower level but the pay is lower.  

fwiw: i have posted here a lot under 'guest' but decided it was time to register.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »