The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:07am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 348251 times)
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #265 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is there now an unspoken moratorium at the PTO on hiring attorney patent examiners (i.e. people who want to be patent examiners that happen to have a JD)?

I've seen a report recently that attributes some of the high examiner turnover to "JD examiners" who leave the PTO for much higher paying firm jobs.  Just wondering whether it's worth my time (as someone with a JD) to apply for an examiner position or not.  Thanks.
IP Logged
patent.b

« Reply #266 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 1:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here is my experience.  I have a preliminary offer--just waiting for the background check for it to be made official.  I also have a JD.  I think as others have posted here, it is important to speak to an SPE in an area where you would qualify to work (in person if possible).  Then explain your good reason for wanting to work there and that you plan to stay for a while.
IP Logged

B
DC
« Reply #267 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 2:24pm »

does anyone know how the official offers come (by letter/email) and if by letter, through what postal service (USPS, priority mail, fed ex)?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #268 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 5:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My experience was that the offer was given over the phone and followed up through the mail.   I accepted over the phone and negotiated a start date over the phone.
IP Logged

Isaac
« Reply #269 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 11:37am »

There is no moratorium on hiring JD's that i've seen. I helped someone with a JD get hired - gave his resume/transcripts to my SPE and he was quickly hired.  

I know many SPE's that earned their law degrees after going to school part-time while they were still primaries. The fact is that six or seven years down the road, after getting your law degree and working at the office, you're pushing up against GS-15, making 6 figures, and have the job figured out (i.e. no more than 40 hours a week unless you want to make some extra bank). Not a bad gig, given the move into a competitive private sector marketplace.

Isaac's experience is similar to mine - offer was given over the phone, in my case at the end of the interview.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »