The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2019, 7:53am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 352288 times)
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #255 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 2:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with Isaac.  I submitted an application through JARS about a year ago and never heard anything.  I tried again this year, and also had a friend who works there as an examiner show my resume to her SPE and I had an interview within 2 days (although in a different art unit).  Her SPE showed by resume to someone in a more appropriate unit to my background.  If you happen to know someone who works there, that would probably be helpful to you!
IP Logged
Borinkito

Email

« Reply #256 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All,

I've been an Examiner at the Office for 4 years now.  Probably side tracking here, but it's my experience that people coming to the PTO straight out of college fair much better than people (such as myself) who have worked in private industry before.  Both can succeed, I just see the younger people adjusting much better to this type of job.

I also recently bought a house approx. an 8 minute walk to the Huntington Metro (last stop yellow line) and 5 minute drive to work (no traffic).  I currently have one room to rent. If you'd like more info on either the job or the room for rent hit me back at borinkito14@gmail.com
IP Logged
Tim
« Reply #257 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:25am »

Borinkito,  

Thanks for the advice.  I just sent you an email.    

IP Logged
patent.b

« Reply #258 on: Mar 5th, 2006, 8:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley Thanks Isaac & RogersDA.  

On your advice, I called the SPE who I had met previously, and after a couple follow-up email exchanges, I got an unofficial offer & request to complete security paperwork before I can receive an official offer.  Didn't really even do an interview, and I have a tentative start date of May 30!
IP Logged

B
concerned future examiner
« Reply #259 on: Mar 5th, 2006, 2:23pm »

For everyone who has been hired or is planning on working as a patent examiner, I came across some disturbing news.  

To give a brief background of the current situation at the USPTO, it seems to me that there are two sides at the USPTO: POPA (basically a union), and management.  If you're going to be working as a patent examiner, many of the benefits that are being promised at this time were negotiated by POPA.  Management, on the other hand seems to be the antagonist that has no interest in keeping up the benefits that the patent examiners enjoy.  

Anyways, the whole idea of POPA is to collectively bargain on behalf of patent examiners.  This is now being threatened by management, who hopes to terminate POPA.  
http://www.popa.org/

I'm not currently a patent examiner, but I might be working as one soon, so this may affect me quite a bit.  It seems like there are some USPTO 'lifers' on this board, as well normal patent examiners who are not yet SPE's(management).  I'd like to hear some feedback about this new development since it seems like it has the ability to directly affect the patent examiner's quality of life at work.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »