The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2019, 9:08pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 347062 times)
rizz98

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #250 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 4:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Forgive me if this has been asked & answered, but I did some digging and couldn't find anything - Anyone have any experience or good information on first-summer opportunities for 1L's at the USPTO? I've passed the patent bar already.

The only thing I could find on the web site is the BPAI internships, and while they look interesting, the deadline's already passed.
IP Logged
lookingforwork
« Reply #251 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 4:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi everyone, first off I'd like to say that this thread has been quite helpful in learning what life's like at the PTO. So, I'll apologize in advance for the following questions that generally have been asked a billion times before. (but maybe someone can humor me  Smiley)

- I think my situation is probably different from most people wishing to work at the PTO. Two SPEs came down to my university about a week and a half ago for our career fair, then then next day, one of them stayed to conduct interviews (the two are unrelated events). Well, I had that interview (of personality/behavioral stuff), and after that, the SPE handed my resume/info to the "correct" TC, and now I have an interview tomorrow (Monday) at the PTO.

- Has anyone been in this sort of situation before? Should I consider this more like a second interview, or am I back at square one?

- Would you recommend a suit jacket? Of course I'll have a shirt and tie, and an overcoat for what looks to be a chilly day. I'm always uncertain of these things when the place isn't professional business attire or just plain casual-casual... I could err on the conservative side, but if even possible, I'd rather not err at all.

- Last and certainly least, is there anything of interest to "do" in Alexandria near the PTO, in case I have a lot of time to kill? I suppose I could just walk around a bit, but having some direction would be nice.

Again, I realize these are 'bleh' topics, but it seems I have asked them anyway...

Thanks
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #252 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 4:16pm »

I wore a suit to my interview.  The SPEs interviewing me did not wear suits, but even had I known that in advance I would still have worn one.  My experience with conducting interviews is that even when candidates are told that their interview is scheduled for "casual day" no candidate has the gall to come informally.

Most likely you are interviewing with a supervisor who is considering having you work for him.  This is the interview you were trying to get.  Forget about any previous interview.
IP Logged

Isaac
Tim
Working for the USPTO
« Reply #253 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

About two weeks ago, I submitted my JARs application for a patent examiner position with Unit 1600.   Subsequently, I mailed my cover letter, resume and transcripts.  I have an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry, and  J.D.  In addition, I'm a licensed attorney, and registered patent attorney.  I also worked as a chemist for a small pharmaceutical company for two years prior to law school.  How are my chances of getting an interview, and if likely, how long does it take to get a call?   Basically how long should I wait around?

Also, I've been trying to get ahold of the hiring contact for the division, which I'm interested in working.   However, I always get his voicemail.  Does anyone know how to reach someone that might be able to help me out?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #254 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:10pm »

My experience was that your application could sit around in JARS forever.   There are tons of applications in there and as far as I can tell getting a good JARS score does not draw attention to your application.

The hiring contacts usually administrative staff who may be able to answer questions, but probably are not all that influential with respect to advancing your application.   If you can identify which art unit(s) are really hiring, you may have better luck attempting to contact a supervisor SPE in one of the art units.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »