The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 19th, 2019, 4:50am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 349924 times)
Huh
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #25 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 2:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The only person doing the insulting Pat Grant is you in your posts on the first page.  

Maybe you should think to yourself and wonder why it is so difficult for you to get an allowance sometimes during your prosecutions. It could be because of your condescending attitude which, if noticed,  will immediately cause examiners to dig in their heels. You might try a new attitude and be suprised how much further you will get with the examiner thereby serving your clients better.
IP Logged
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 3:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

rogersDA,

thanks for the correction.  

if you consider my comments figuratively, instead of literally, are they correct, or would you say that this is hyperbole?  

regards,

eric
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
Patent_Prospect

« Reply #27 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:58am »

First-time poster, long-time viewer.

I find this forum very useful, especially for those at the start of what seems to be a very satisfying career choice.

My background is very similar to many who post.  I posess a B.S.E.E. and an M.S.E.E. (Microwave/RF and Microelectronics dual-concentration).  I have approximately 3 years of engineering experience, and research experience as a doctoral student in EE (ABD).  

I went to a seminar while a Ph.D. student for "alternative" careers in engineering, where a patent attorney was one of the speakers.  After speaking with him for some time, I decided to study for (and take) the USPTO registration exam.  I have been registered for 2 years.  In addition, I worked at a research university as a technology manager in the Office of Research, assisting university inventors in securing patent protection, and securing licensing partners for university owned IP, for a year.

I have a job offer from the USPTO as an examiner, as well as a DC law firm as a patent agent (obviously, agent position pays better).

To make a long story long, I am seeking candid professional advice.  From a career prospect prospective (long-term), should I:

1)  Accept the examiner position (due to my lack of law firm experience, this might allow me to see the nuts and bolts of patent prosecution, without immediate billable hour requirements, etc.)

2) Accept the agent position (pay is better, and I would like to eventually migrate to patent prosecution, but would this hinder my development in the long run; i.e., walking before I crawl).

3) Bury my head in the sand, while shouting "thank you sir, can I have another" at my lame, go nowhere government contract engineering job, where it seems that the only goal is to find an unused account to bill to long enough to survive the next round of layoffs, only to eventually get laid off after 20 years due, in part, to the fact that they can hire 3-4 green engineers for the price of 1. Cheesy

(Please forgive the sarcasm. Option 3 is not really an option.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Patent_Prospect...out.

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 9:03am by Patent_Prospect » IP Logged
Patent_Type

« Reply #28 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 9:25am »

You don't mention if you plan to go to law school.  Regardless, my opinion is that you should accept the agent job.  Better pay, plenty of experience, go to law school at night.  

PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT
IP Logged
Patent_Type

« Reply #29 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 9:28am »

Plus, then as a patent agent, you can curse the ineptitude of examiners, instead of being laughed and cursed at constantly by practitioners.

PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT PT
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »