The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2019, 9:15pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 346763 times)
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #240 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 10:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,
I just interviewed for a patent examiner position last week.  How long does it usually take to hear back from the USPTO?  Does anyone know of people that have interviewed and not been offered the job?
TIA!!!
IP Logged
patentlaw
« Reply #241 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 4:07pm »

hi,
I was interviewed there as well.  But haven't heard from them yet.

J.
IP Logged
startingmay
« Reply #242 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 7:35pm »

I'm starting at the USPTO in May; does anyone know if there's a credit union available for the employees?  If so, is there an office in/near the building?  Does anyone have any experience or advice for this kind of thing that's USPTO-specific?
IP Logged
« Reply #243 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:05pm »

What do you mean by production can be a pain?  Is it very possible to meet the production quotas by working the standard 40 hours a week?
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --

When you start at the PTO, I think there are a few things vital to getting on the right track. In the beginning you aren't expected to be cranking out 100% production. Just show you are improving each bi-week and that you are starting to get the hang of things. You will begin to gain familiarity with the art you are working with and the ideas in the applications will somewhat get repetitive, therefore making your searches a little easier.  

Easier said than done: i think you can only spend a certain amount of time searching a case (including asking primary examiners for help) before you have to write the action and move on. This will help you get a formular down, which will also help you when you start to get amendments coming back to you.

As far as the being a pain part: i've struggled with keeping my concentration at times and allow myself to spend too much time reading/learning about the art associated with the application. Learning about the art is good and all, but the case has to get out the door as well.  

To those who have accepted positions or are waiting to hear back, don't be scared about production at all. Just be confident in your skills and come into the office open-minded about everything.

As for the credit union: I have been thinking of joining the PTO credit union, for the sole purpose of having a free atm on campus. I might put some money in a savings account there so i can take out cash and ect. without making a trip to my bank. I didn't sign up for it exclusively because it doesn't have the convenience of online banking (i don't believe it does anyway...)
IP Logged
Cspir
« Reply #244 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 1:03pm »

on Feb 16th, 2006, 10:44am, Guest wrote:
Hi,
I just interviewed for a patent examiner position last week.  How long does it usually take to hear back from the USPTO?  Does anyone know of people that have interviewed and not been offered the job?
TIA!!!

I was interviewed last week as well.  Not too long after the interview I was emailed by one of the HR people to fax a SF-85 form and some other online form to complete this "hiring package" as they called it in an email.  Did you have to fill this out too?

I still have not heard back after one week myself.

-ST
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »