The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 3:32pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342971 times)
Hopeful
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #215 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 11:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

[quote author=alfredhorg link=board=patent_agents;num=1107208950;start=225#233 date=01/05/06 at 04:30:35]

If I were you, I would take the advice of others here and attend one of the career fairs.

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments and congrats to those who have recently obtained positions at the USPTO.  My question is about these "job fairs."  It seems there are general job fairs all over the country and the one in VA on Feb. 3-4 for which you register and interview with someone in your area.  How important is it to attend one of these?  Should I drive three hours on Monday to attend a general fair or fly to DC for the feb. 4 fair?  Many on here seem to have landed positions simply over the phone.

Really I want to begin in August because I'm still in lawschool currently (right after getting my ME degree) and would like to take a state bar.  Alfredhorg, was it a uphill battle to explain lawschool?  I'm alittle worried they will be put off by this, as others on this board have mentioned.  I have a decent amount of engineering intern and legal intern experience but no full-time careers.  I'm still seraching for a firm job but since the USPTO process seems to take months I'd like to get the ball rolling.  On the other hand, I understand the benefits of government work, like yourself, and would not mind working my way up the ladder there.
IP Logged
alfredhorg

WWW Email

« Reply #216 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 14th, 2006, 12:41am, Former Examiner wrote:

One last thing before I end this post -- the Patent Office is starting a new training program for newly-hired examiners (first in TCs 2100 and 2600, but eventually in all TCs), which will be an 8-month program similar to a college classroom type environment.  Examiners will be in the classroom for 8 months, getting trained and working on actual cases before going into their TC.

Former Examiner,
Does the new 8-month training program preclude all possibility of overtime during those 8 months?
IP Logged
alfredhorg

WWW Email

« Reply #217 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:14pm »

on Jan 14th, 2006, 11:36am, Hopeful wrote:

Alfredhorg, was it a uphill battle to explain lawschool?  I'm alittle worried they will be put off by this, as others on this board have mentioned.  I have a decent amount of engineering intern and legal intern experience but no full-time careers.  I'm still seraching for a firm job but since the USPTO process seems to take months I'd like to get the ball rolling.  On the other hand, I understand the benefits of government work, like yourself, and would not mind working my way up the ladder there.  

My effort to become a patent examiner was not exactly tough enough to call it an "uphill battle."  But I knew that since I was going to be available for work immediately after getting a J.D., the SPEs might not hire me unless I could persuade them that I would stay at the USPTO for a long time.

By the time of my phone interview, I had reasoned to myself why the USPTO was my top choice for employment.  I thought that all I had to do was explain these reasons to the SPEs, and I turned out to be correct.

If the USPTO is not your top choice for employment, then persuading the SPEs that you would stick around would be an uphill battle, I think.

One SPE gave me a choice of starting dates and explained that if I were to begin on May 30, then the USPTO could not let me go in July to take the bar exam.  The SPE let me choose between starting in May and starting in September.  I explained that the bar exam is something I would like to get over with, but starting a career was more imporant so I explained that I preferred to start work on May 30 and delay my bar exam until February, 2007.  I believe my explanation might have persuaded the SPEs that I will not be one to quit the USPTO quickly.
IP Logged
crazy

« Reply #218 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 2:41pm »

Hi,

I will be working in the 2800 unit.  Does anyone know if I will be in the new training program?

Thanks
IP Logged
Jessica
« Reply #219 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 8:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'll be starting at the USPTO on Feb. 20th and was wondering where do you guys live? Are there any good apartments for reasonable prices close to the USPTO office?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »