The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2019, 11:59pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 353677 times)
Isaac

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #125 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 4:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My impression is that unless your education and work experience are extremely relevant your supervisor is going to want to start you at step GS-7.

They use advanced step levels and higher pay grades in order to match your current salary and generally not because your JARS data says you qualify for GS-11 or whatever.  

I don't think they'll care one whit about an MBA.  If you are not drawing a big salary because of yBour MBA I don't think you can expect to be hired as a GS-9/10.

I think my ex-SPE told me that if you were working within the last year, they could use your old salary to get you bumped up.

There are some advantages to starting at GS-9.  GS-9 is equivalent to something us non government workers called an "exempt" employee meaning that you are not legally prohibited from working more than 40 hrs to get your work done.   Production can be a bear and now that the PTO monitors the coming and going of employees electronically, it's at least theoretically possible to get fired for working too much if you are GS-7 are lower.   I've never heard of that happening but some people did worry about it.  

Apparently people are getting caught working too little and are being disciplined/fired for doing so.  

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2005, 4:51pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Bill
« Reply #126 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 8:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I read that full patent examiners are payed at the GS-13 level....is that true?

How long does it take to become a full patent examiner (GS-13) if you start at GS-11?
IP Logged
Bill
« Reply #127 on: Jun 25th, 2005, 9:10pm »

I have been looking at housing near the USPTO and maybe I am not looking in the right place but holy crap it is expensive.  

Any recommendations for housing that is less expensive (approx 160,000-200,000)...maybe finding a home around this cost is very improbable but I cant imagine being able to afford a 400,000-600,000 home just starting out.  

Where should I be looking...any suggestionsHuh  Or is it just not likely that I will be able to afford a home until later?  Thanks
IP Logged
« Reply #128 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 1:27am »

Here is a link that i found where you can search around that area, and some listings have multiple pics and/or virtual tours:

http://www.thebuyerbrokerage.com/

Don't know what you can find, but at least you can take a look. I'd like to find an affordable house too, but things seem pretty pricey.

Good luck!

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #129 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 6:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 25th, 2005, 9:10pm, Bill wrote:
I have been looking at housing near the USPTO and maybe I am not looking in the right place but holy crap it is expensive.  

Any recommendations for housing that is less expensive (approx 160,000-200,000)...maybe finding a home around this cost is very improbable but I cant imagine being able to afford a 400,000-600,000 home just starting out.  

Where should I be looking...any suggestionsHuh  Or is it just not likely that I will be able to afford a home until later?  Thanks

The housing market is pretty scary for a newcomer.  I haven't figured out how people moving from old areas are supposed to afford a home.  I had to sell my old home in NC, and the equity I got out of the deal is nowhere near getting me into a house here.   We're still renting which my kids seem to consider to be about the same as being homeless.

Some people in Northern Virginia are using interest free financing and hoping that their housing appreciates over the first few years so that they can make the deal work when it's time for huge payments to start  One problem with that is that there is the plan to move a large amount of defense and other gov personnel out of the N. VA area which could stall out price growth.  

Anyhow, I think many people who move here end up in townhouses as their first home.  You'll probably be able to afford one of those after a bit, but even those are generally outside of the 160-200K range.

Isaac
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »