The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2019, 10:09am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 353563 times)
HITMANVQ35

Email

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #1225 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i just read that article and it sounds like the working life is going to suck at the PTO.  

Hopefully they will adjust the production requirements....

Is this the first time a survey has been conducted?
They need to do something about this, it's a serious problem
IP Logged
guest34345
« Reply #1226 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 3:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've worked at the PTO for a few years and the new rule changes are supposed to be the savior of the office in terms of bringing down the pendancy. That is what the Office is referring to when they say they have already been taking action aside from hiring new examiners (in the report GAO says the Office can't hire its way out).

Unfortunately the rules changes will mean a lot more work for examiners. More Appeals and therefore more first action counts have to be done by examiners, which take a lot more time. More arguing and re-opening prosecution, which really is a HUGE drag on examiners time. POPA is turning their back on us too, at the latest meeting they said that they are happy to work with management on these new rules. The new leaders in POPA are spineless.

IP Logged
Blebbing Ameoba
« Reply #1227 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:44pm »

I'm curious how much difficulty people have had in trying to get a position at the USPTO.  

After getting a JD, some legal work experience (state court litigation), and passing the patent bar, my job hunt has been more than futile but many practitioners have told me that the PTO would be a good place to try and get into and, with my JD and B.S. in biology, thought I had a decent chance.

I went to a recruiting fair and the SPE who interviewed me said he would make a recommendation for hire to an examining group outside of biology/life science because this group was in need of people that had more of a legal background.  The interview, at least from my perspective went pretty well.  At the end, I was told to resubmit my resume and transcripts via USAJobs.  All my electronic applications were rejected as not meeting the basic requirements based on either coming up short in credit hours from undergrad in a certain subject area or the position was outside the area of my undergrad study. (problem because the interviewer thought I'd fit in better with a non-bio examining group)

OPM later told me basically that the recruiting interviews hold little to no weight and the interview responses are not matched with the electronic application.  I was then told to be patient until a job bulletin was posted that I met the basic qualifications for.  I was also told that the area that I would be recommended for had vacancies but there was no authority to hire for it currently.  OPM couldn't tell me what the requirements were for that examining group nor when there would be a bulletin.

I also emailed one of the applicable hiring contacts that is listed on the PTO website and I got a response from said hiring contact saying that the group was trying to hire people and to email my resume.

Does this make sense to anyone?  An SPE hiring contact tells me they are hiring and OPM says otherwise.  Interviews are not factored in.  Has anyone had so much trouble getting an application considered?  If the PTO has such a hiring crunch and a 2:1 turnover ratio of examiners, (See GAO report), why would they send recruiters to job fairs if any interviews will not be forwarded to OPM?  Does any one think that OPM's hiring practices actually disqualify people that the examining corps would like to bring aboard?  I'm not trying to toot my horn out of frustration, but I'm curious about other people's experiences in dealing with OPM, the USPTO, and whether there are some other suggestions on how to go about landing a position.

Huh Huh Tongue
IP Logged
guest33
« Reply #1228 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:08pm »

I would recommend contacting the SPEs of the chemical art units (if you feel that you would be comfortable with the subject matter).  The biotech groups are not hiring right now.  Especially try the 1610's, I think they are trying to fill a recruiting class by mid-November.
IP Logged
PatEntlE
« Reply #1229 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 12:04am »

In response to Blebbing:

I recently accepted an examiner position within the PTO. I am currently finishing the last couple weeks of a BSEE.

Several times I tried applying online and the campus interview process did not produce results. After about 6 months, I emailed a representative (non-OPM or PTO HR) that I encountered at a career fair. In the mail I described my lack of success with OPM and provided a copy of my resume. He forwarded my resume to a list of SPEs that he knew were in need of people. I was contacted the following week (by a SPE) and close to 5 weeks later I received an offer. During those 5 weeks OPM was not at all forthcoming about my status. PTO HR was not at all responsive to my questions and was very standoff-ish. If I felt neglected I would email my question to the SPE and he/she would promptly respond with a quality answer.  

In short, my route to success was through direct contact with a SPE that needed to fill a position. A position that I was qualified for.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »