The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2019, 2:05am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 346732 times)
mk1023

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #1195 on: Aug 24th, 2007, 9:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

2. My wife and I both applied at GS-09. She is a bioengineer and does not have a J.D. Do you guys recommend she ask to start as GS-07 because it might take her a bit to get up to speed?

IMO, having/not having a JD is irrelevant to this question. The more pertinent question is whether she can work quickly. A new examiner does need to be at full production right away. It takes a lot of people several months to get the hang of the job.  

3. Because we have a newborn, we want to live in a safe area. We're thinking that Alexandria is the best because it's a good area and I/We could walk to work. But if we had to live outside alexandria, do you guys have any recommendations? Are there any dangerous places to stay away from?

Most of Alexandria is fairly nice (there are a few parts that aren't). It's going to be tough for you to walk to work unless you want to pay a ton of $$$ or walk a few miles (not pleasant with the humidity). You're going to want to look at the bus routes/proximity to Metro of places you look at living. If you're bringing a car, driving to work isn't a big problem (if you live in Alexandria).  

4. Even though I am a Mechanical Engineer, I have a lot of knowledge in technology and website programming (PHP, HTML, MYSQL), though I don't know much about circuits or the inner-workings of electronics. Is there an art unit that processes website related patents? (e.g., Amazon's 1-Click patent)? I looked at the various Patent Technology Centers on the USPTO's website but I didn't see anything of the sort.

See TC3600 (Business Methods)
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2007, 9:43pm by mk1023 » IP Logged
mk1023

« Reply #1196 on: Aug 24th, 2007, 9:49pm »

on Aug 24th, 2007, 2:25pm, kiger wrote:
I don't know if it's been stated already but there is now a hiring bonus in effect for mechanical engineers. It's 5k/yr for 4 years (so a total of 20k).

What I am curious about is if this is a 4yr bonus split up, or a yearly bonus for four years. The reason I ask is what if you get 5k for three years then quit. Do you owe 15k back, or do you just not get the final 5k for year four?

Here's an illustrative example. If you leave after either .5, 1.5, 2.5 or 3.5 years, in each case you'll have to repay 2500.
IP Logged
kiger

« Reply #1197 on: Aug 25th, 2007, 8:44am »

on Aug 24th, 2007, 6:13pm, daven wrote:

Actually, they are very smart..  They're testing you to see if you have the patience required to work in the federal government.  If the patent office is anything like my federal government job you'll reach the point where you don't even bother to complain.Smiley  

Every time I turn around a critical software program is down for maintenance, passwords need to be upgraded or changed, or the building has no a/c, etc.  I spent half the day today attempting to file a travel claim for $75.  Like everything else, it's going electronic so me and another guy will need to continue the process Monday.

Congrats on the job.  Set some goals before you start and focus on them instead of falling into the civil service negative attitude trap like the majority of people I work with.  It's very easy to do when there are so many stupid things going on.

When I started my job the HR department said they didn't know who I was or why I had an offer letter.  After sitting there half the day they finally realized some idiot in HR mis-typed one digit of my social security number.

You are right, so let me rephrase. It is the system that is idiotic. The people I spoke with were very nice and polite but why didn't my interview responses get merged with my application? Why did it take a month to inform me that the computer auto-rejected me? Why did it take a month to tell me that they don't hire GS-11's even though they have an application for GS-11's? The fault lies with the person who is responsible for these things; and that is probably not the individuals in HR who answer the calls. It's probably their boss, or someone else much higher up.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2007, 11:20pm by kiger » IP Logged
kiger

« Reply #1198 on: Aug 25th, 2007, 8:47am »

@mk1023

Thanks for the great answers. They helped a lot.
IP Logged
kiger

« Reply #1199 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 11:20pm »

Anyone know how long it takes to go to the USPTO from...

Springfield using 495.
Annadale using 236.
Falls Church using 7.

Also, does anyone have the time via the metro?
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2007, 11:23pm by kiger » IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »