The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2019, 7:27pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342876 times)
Guesssst
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #1155 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 19th, 2007, 9:34pm, exmnr wrote:
Does anyone know details about the tuition reimbursement that the USPTO offers? I can't seem to find any literature on it.

I've heard that they include the tuition in your paycheck, so then it is taxed just like your regular pay. If this is true, does this even leave enough to pay the actual tuition? How much tax do you end up paying?

Assuming you are talking about law school tuition rather than technical degree tuition, you have to be employed at the PTO for 2 years before they will pay.  

Once they start paying, you will receive the money in your check, with taxes witheld. The amount you pay depends on your tax bracket, and the first $5250 per year is tax free.  

For one of the private schools (GW, Georgetown, American, etc), you can expect to pay about $6-8K in taxes in years where you attend two semesters. For George Mason, probably about $2-3K per year. Since this is withheld, you would have to make up the difference yourself with cash or loans.
IP Logged
ExaminerJr

« Reply #1156 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 11:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 19th, 2007, 9:43pm, peNumber1 wrote:
Call me a pessimist if you want, but what happens to the income tax (on the recruitment incentive portion of your income) you paid over the the 2 years, if you resign (or get fired) say in the 3rd year?  

In such cases, you have to reimburse the prorated recruitment incentive to PTO, but you'll never see that part of the income tax ever again, right?

You can file back taxes to get that amount back.  You won't have to pay the PTO back as a lump sum, either; you'll be given a very low interest loan.
IP Logged
em

« Reply #1157 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:17am »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 9:34pm, exmnr wrote:
Does anyone know details about the tuition reimbursement that the USPTO offers? I can't seem to find any literature on it.

Have you checked POPA's Useful Information->Agreements->Legal Studies Training document?
IP Logged
em

« Reply #1158 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:30am »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 9:43pm, peNumber1 wrote:
what happens to the income tax (on the recruitment incentive portion of your income) you paid over the the 2 years, if you resign (or get fired) say in the 3rd year?

You get the first year's recruitment incentive with your second biweek's pay. You get half the second year's incentive one year thereafter, and the remaining half six months after that. The third and forth year's bonuses are paid in much the same way.
IP Logged
applied
« Reply #1159 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 2:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Are they done hiring for the fiscal year, or done interviewing for the fiscal year?  I'm still hoping I get an offer.  I was told if I was hired I would start the first week of September, but I still haven't received any offers or emails to fill out forms.  It has been over a month since I interviewed.  I have contacted HR a couple of times, but they seem pretty clueless, they just keep telling me I'm on a list for hiring managers to review.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »