The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 17th, 2019, 8:55pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 352131 times)
uh huh
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #1075 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 9:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Has the hiring coordinator asked you (via email after the interview) to fill out the federal employment and security forms?  If so, and you have, call HR and tell them you've done everything and are just waiting on them.  If you don't sound like you know what you're talking about they'll give you the run-around.  But they CAN check the status of your application, (it's just they'd rather keep you in the dark).
IP Logged
Anon Examiner
« Reply #1076 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:04pm »

on Oct 10th, 2006, 11:18am, salary wrote:
i'm starting at the uspto soon at $60k/yr.  I've been told by many that there is a chance I could make up to 6 figures after 3 yrs.  How realistic is that?  What does it depend on?

It completely depends on how quickly you can churn out cases with proper grounds of rejection.  What you want to do is learn how to do the job right and build an enormous pipeline.  If your rejections are proper all the time then applicants will continuously be forced to file RCEs and you will get a huge number of counts for doing nothing.

You actually make more money at the lower levels billing overtime than you do as a GS-14 primary at the lower steps doing the same amount of work.  I've been at the PTO for 3 years and will make at least 110k this year.  If you can produce like a primary examiner then you will get paid as much as one.  I even know someone that turned down a promotion because it would drop their salary.
IP Logged
mandejapan

« Reply #1077 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Applied,

Thanks for the congrats. My PTA start date is August 20. You should sign up for a real account in this forum so that I can PM you....or if you PM me with your email addy I can send you longer emails with more details that might bore others on here.

But to answer your question, I don't think I did anything to help expedite the process.  I did follow up with the secretary/admin person who sent me the email on behalf of my hiring SPE, to request those forms (HSPD-12, of306) to be filled out.  I just kindly asked her if she could let me know what the status of my application packet was...whether it was still with the TC director, in the Patent Hiring Center, or with the Human Resources Office.  I sent this email to her last week on June 26 and she responded the same day telling me that my application packet is "now in the Patent Hiring Center". And she also told me it may take about another week or 10 days for HR to contact me from that point.  

So, if you want to follow up with someone I would recommend you contact the person who sent you the email requesting you to fill out those additional forms, because they are the one that was probably responsible for putting the application package together to pass on for signatures/approval.

I did follow up once or twice with my hiring SPE but I just asked him some other questions....not related to the status of my application.
IP Logged
bobloblaw

« Reply #1078 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 9:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Congratulations mandejapan!  (Also thanks for answering my question.)

Hopefully I will be able to become one of the elect.
IP Logged
reese
« Reply #1079 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 11:01pm »

Hi. Is it true that if you have a master's degree you could work your way up to being a GS-15 level patent examiner?  Also, is there a way to become a GS-14 examiner without having full signatory authority?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »