The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 25th, 2019, 5:12am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 348315 times)
2Btabby

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #1055 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 12:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Know: The USPTO has a 8 month training academy.  You'll learn all you need to know there - and get paid a salary for it.  Most people in the academy didn't know jack about patents when they started (or very little).
IP Logged
mk1023

« Reply #1056 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 5:41pm »

Interesting day for the February class today.

The prevailing version in my lab of what happened is that someone in one of the other labs punched one person, tried to choke a second person (female), and then jumped on a table and punched the ceiling.

I heard about someone in the training academy a few months ago getting kicked out for threatening somebody.

The thing is there is very little pressure now (especially compared to back in TC). I don't see how people can get so worked up.
IP Logged
Bargaining Tool
« Reply #1057 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 8:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Interesting thing that happened to me today:

I received a verbal offer from PTO to examine the EXACT technology that a local firm deals  almost exclusively with with.  I interviewed with this firm a while back,  and (to my understanding) they were going to hire me but the financial guys decided there wasn't enough work to justify another salary.

I know it's pretty open-ended, but any thoughts?
IP Logged
applied
« Reply #1058 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 9:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jun 26th, 2007, 5:41pm, mk1023 wrote:
Interesting day for the February class today.

The prevailing version in my lab of what happened is that someone in one of the other labs punched one person, tried to choke a second person (female), and then jumped on a table and punched the ceiling.

I heard about someone in the training academy a few months ago getting kicked out for threatening somebody.

The thing is there is very little pressure now (especially compared to back in TC). I don't see how people can get so worked up.

mk1023,

What was the cause of the melee ? Did the perpetrator punched his/her SPE who was going to fire him/her for underperformed production (I was told that PE are assigned real cases toward the middle and end of their training)?  

I hope it is an isolated incident, and I hope it is  not a reflective situation of the "stressful" work environment depicted throughout this forum.
IP Logged
mk1023

« Reply #1059 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 9:47am »

on Jun 26th, 2007, 9:21pm, applied wrote:

mk1023,

What was the cause of the melee ? Did the perpetrator punched his/her SPE who was going to fire him/her for underperformed production (I was told that PE are assigned real cases toward the middle and end of their training)?  

I hope it is an isolated incident, and I hope it is  not a reflective situation of the "stressful" work environment depicted throughout this forum.

Apparently there was no punching just some slapping. No one in my lab is sure of the cause. We think it was because he couldn't get a case counted for that bi-week. We don't know who the first person he slapped was but it might have been their TA (I'm pretty sure it wasn't the trainer).

It's pretty much impossible to get fired for low production this early into the academy unless you blatantly just sit there and do nothing. You'll start sending out cases about two months into the training academy. You're expected to gradually ramp up to full production. Most of the people in my lab aren't at 100% yet.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »