The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 17th, 2019, 6:49pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 352128 times)
mk1023

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #1005 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 2:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 8th, 2007, 9:34pm, sam31sam wrote:
QQ wrote,

qq, mk1023, Current_Examiner

do you guys know of anyone looking for a roommate. I start on July 9th and would be looking to rent/lease on July 1st. If not, do you guys have any recommendations on where to live? Any help would be greately appreciated. TIA

When I moved here, I considered getting a roommate and browsed craigslist. There are were a lot of different people looking for roommates (I even saw several people starting at the PTO on there). Ultimately I decided I'd rather live by myself so I'm renting a 1 BR condo about 3 miles NW of the PTO.

As for where you should live, that depends on a few things. Do you have a car? Do you want to take the metro/bus to work? I had the impression moving here that traffic was going to be a nightmare. It's really only a big deal if you're travelling on the big interstates during rush hour. There's only a few minutes difference between the time it takes me to get from my apartment to the parking garage and the time it takes me to walk from the parking garage to where I work. Also, if you want to take public transportation, Alexandria has good bus service, so don't lock yourself into thinking you have to live near a metro station.

I would stick to looking at apartments in Alexandria or South Arlington so you can be close to the PTO. That's about as specific as I can be. There are hundreds of apartment complexes and townhouse developments in this area. The good news for you is that most of them have space. I suggest you take the next couple of weeks to browse the following sites:
1) craigslist: people list apartments and condos. Take a look at the pictures and see where they're located in relation to the PTO and Metro stations (if that's an issue for you_
2) apartmentshowcase.com: this is a site run by the Washington Post for apartment complexes. This will give you some idea of what you can expect to pay
3) apartmentratings.com: crosscheck apartments you find with this site. Apartment listings are often misleading

You probably want to avoid apartments that accept Section 8 (crime).

I've only been here a few months, so I'm far from an expert, however if you have any more questions send me a PM.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2007, 2:10pm by mk1023 » IP Logged
JAYC
« Reply #1006 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 12:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does the PTO pay for a part-time masters in engineering?
IP Logged
mandejapan

« Reply #1007 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 11:01am »

Yes PTO can pay for you to do a part time masters in engineering.  I believe the rule is you need to work there for 1 year though before they start paying.  I have a friend that works there that is currently doing a masters in ee at umcp and they are paying for it.

Does anyone know what the next PTA start dates are?  I heard there was a July 9 one.  Are there anymore in July and any in August?
IP Logged
mandejapan

« Reply #1008 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 10:19am »

Found out that one of the next PTAs starts on August 20.
IP Logged
considering
« Reply #1009 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is that earlier post about the PTO prosecuting former examiners really true?  It seems a little far fetched, but people here also seem to be taking it seriously.  I'm guessing that it's something totally made up by people who got fired by the PTO because they were lazy or trying to cheat the system.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »