The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 4:07pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working for the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 342986 times)
C3PTO
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #100 on: May 23rd, 2005, 12:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You can't work at the PTO without a clearance.  They can't make a formal job offer to anybody until the person actually has been issued the clearance.

It takes a lot of work to do a background check. They aren't going to pass out those forms like candy.  If they gave you that form, it pretty much means you have the job, pending the results of the background check.
IP Logged
mistersilver

Email

« Reply #101 on: May 23rd, 2005, 2:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

RodgersDa is correct.  The PTO have to do a mandatory background check.  Usually they will require a potential candidate to fill out the Pre-appointment security form.  Once you have been given an official offer you will need to complete and bring the New Employee Accession Package with you on your start date. HTH
IP Logged
mistersilver

Email

« Reply #102 on: May 23rd, 2005, 2:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

To Harry Chu
Link to the forms:  
http://www.usptocareers.gov/forms.asp
IP Logged
someone out there
« Reply #103 on: May 29th, 2005, 3:14pm »

Lots of questions out there...I posted earlier this month (patent examiner working in Biotech&Chem Tech Center)

I'd prefer not posting much info about myself here on the board...

Yes, you do have to use JARS, but I filled it out after my interview with the Biotech supervisors...it's not required for the interview (my resume had been forwarded to the supervisors).  For peace of mind, I would fill out JARS as soon as possible (I procrastinated).  In my case, I'm glad I did procrastinate, since one of the supervisors gave me input as to how I should rate myself in the portion concerning my skill set.  I was told that applicants sometimes under-rate themselves, and this can interfere with the hiring process on the HR end.

Right after my interview, one of the supervisors emailed me the forms for the security clearance.  The supervisors can not officially offer you a position...they have to indicate to HR who they want to hire.  Then, HR has to receive your completed security clearance forms, transcripts, and info through JARS before an official offer can be extended.  The security clearance forms require you to list all your addresses in the past 5 years, people who have known you at those addresses, additional names of people who have known you for at least 5 years , etc.  The full security check doesn't actually occur until after you are hired, after your orientation day.  During orientation, your security clearance forms are actually returned to you with notes about discrepancies for you to correct that day.    

You don't need to prepare for the job before starting out...you'll be receiving plenty of training.  You'll have about 2 weeks of training, then you are sent to your office to start examining.  Throughout the first year, you will be attending additional classes offered by your tech center.  For instance, during the second month at the PTO, I remember spending about 3 to 6 hours each week in classes.  

The job is not a piece of cake...it is challenging considering the time constraints.  A patent examiner is on a production system...production is based on the number of counts you receive per biweek.  For example, you receive a count when you submit a first office action (examine for novelty, etc).  Depending on your supervisory patent examiner (supervisor, SPE), I suggest not worrying about your production during your first 4 months of the job.  Your concern should be about learning the ropes and understanding the job...this will be your only opportunity to have the liberty to take your time with the job.  After those first few months, your SPE will be more closely looking at your production...that's when you need to try to ramp up your production.  You are a probationary employee during your first year...upon your first year anniversary at the office, your SPE will decide whether to retain you...this is largely based on your production.  

As a new examiner, you have a mentor who reviews your work and offers training...it could be a primary examiner in your art unit, or your art unit's supervisory patent examiner (SPE).  The amount of guidance you receive really depends on your mentor.  Do as your mentor says...follow your mentor's approach to the job and perspective on matters.  Not to say that you can't disagree with your mentor, but keep in mind that your mentor is signing your work...your mentor is partly responsible for any work you submit, so it's important that he/she is comfortable with your office actions.  If you disagree or are confused about your mentor's input, explain your point of view and ask questions.  Don't be antagonistic, and be considerate of their time.  

About the interviews...from what I hear, they vary a bit...I know that some supervisors like to ask some technical questions, but some would just want you to describe your duties at previous jobs (internships, research experiences, full-time positions).  I don't really remember my interview (several SPEs interviewed me at the same time).
IP Logged
gabe
« Reply #104 on: May 31st, 2005, 7:48pm »

I am likely taking a job and moving up to DC mid july.  

Anybody looking for a roomate? I assume there are tons ofs us relocating to USPTO. I am young, I don't want/need to live alone waisting more of my pay cheek on resnt.

E-mail me if you are interested in a roomate. I have no idea yet where to live. Walking to work woulds be nice... cheap rent (in DC!) would be nice...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  252 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »