The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:57am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   writingSample for a patent agent/technical advisor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: writingSample for a patent agent/technical advisor  (Read 2365 times)
Re: writingSample for a patent agent/technical adv
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 8:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What about a software programming tutorial or a how to article?
IP Logged
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 8:52pm »

How short is too short?
IP Logged
examiner
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 9:21pm »

This might be crazy, but you might be able to use an office action if you were an examiner.
IP Logged
smgsmc

« Reply #8 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 2:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi.  I finally got an interview.  They asked me to bring writing samples.  I have a lot so that's not a problem.  I actually assembled a portfolio ranging from journal publications to memos to a non-technical newsletter article.  I spared them my poetry. Smiley  Now here's the problem I ran into.  My last journal publication was in 1990.  Except for my recent newsletter article, all my other samples are internal memos which are technically company proprietary because they weren't cleared for publication (even though some strictly don't contain proprietary info).  I was careful choosing a selection that (1) had no customer specific data and (2) were at least several years old and contained no information about current products and services (in fact they were products and services which withered on the vine).  In this case, the firm was started by attorneys who were booted from the same company that I had been, so I didn't think it was a big deal, since they had previous access to them.   Still, one of the partners didn't think it was kosher.  The memos spanned from detailed analysis to formal requirements to white papers to a primer on networking for dummies:  a good portfolio.  But if I can't use them,  all I have are publications that have gathered 16+ yrs of dust plus a newsletter article on mentoring female students in science and engineering.  I assume that redaction via white-out is not the way to go, or is it?  That is, is it OK for them to read it as long as there is no explicit "Company Proprietary" stamp on it?  Or does duty of disclosure require me to tell them the nature of the docs?    Any suggestions here?  Thanks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »