The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 20th, 2022, 2:46am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Agent Right Out Of Grad School
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Agent Right Out Of Grad School  (Read 2624 times)
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Patent Agent Right Out Of Grad School
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 12:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'll go ahead and toss in my belated 2 cents....

I went to law school full time (a good one at that) but I have known people who have done the part-time route at a respected firm.  I have the utmost respect for the work quality of some of those people, so my perspective isn't adversely influenced by the lack of full-time at law school.  Of course, their part time school was also pretty good for IP (Professor Chisum of the famed patent treatise teaches there).

Personally, a few years at a respected firm and/or a valued biotech client would be perceived very well, the latter more for "connections" that for patent skills.  Not far from Chicago is Madison, WI.  My understanding is that biotech is big there.

Good luck!
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Patent_Type

Re: Patent Agent Right Out Of Grad School
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

About headhunters and patent agents -- the fact is that headhunters have no interest trying to place a patent agent.  They are only interested in placing associates with 3-4 years of experience.

So, if you want to go the agent route, you need to start networking and  researching firms.  Most firms that have a well-established agent/tech spec program are in DC and NYC.  If you want to try an evening program somewhere else, you'll probably need to start asking around in the city you're interested in, on a firm-by-firm basis.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »