The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 5:34pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   New Patent Bar Format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Patent Bar Format  (Read 807 times)
Gary B
New Patent Bar Format
« on: Feb 23rd, 2004, 1:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

With the USPTO switch to a completely computerized test and not allowing any outside materials in, I'm wondering if there is any input on the new exam.

Namely the following:
-Will the new exam be easier or more difficult at first?
-Is the preperation strategy for the new exam similar to the old?
-How are people currently preparing to take the patent bar?
-When is the next exam even going to be given?
-Is it worth investing in new and/or used patent bar exam home study courses barbri, pli, etc.

Thanks for the info,
Gary
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: New Patent Bar Format
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2004, 4:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The PTO really has not provided a lot of details on the new exam.  I expect that the questions are going to come from the same source they currently come from and that the intent is that the test have the same difficulty as before.

Here is a link to a slide show outlining the new procedures.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/ComputerExamSlides.pdf

I think there will have to be some changes in preparation methods.  People used to take in outlines, slides and other materials from their courses and they used to tab and underline passages in their MPEP.  You can't do any of that anymore.   On the other hand, you may be able to search through the MPEP for half remembered key words.

I'd still recomend doing as many old exam questions as possible on top of whatever other studying you do.   Perhaps the people selling courses have some more insight into the changes in format.  If you are going to buy and old course, beware of changes in the law.  

The next exam is supposed to be in late April.  I see that the PTO has yet to put up an application form for the next exam.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »