The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 8:51am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Newly Minted Patent Agent w/ ?'s
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newly Minted Patent Agent w/ ?'s  (Read 3946 times)
rrroseen

Re: Newly Minted Patent Agent w/ ?'s
« Reply #15 on: May 25th, 2004, 5:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am surprised that another idea that many new agents use or want to use to become more experienced has not come up.

Patenting your own invention(s).

Provides experience and points for having your name on patents.
IP Logged
patento

Re: Newly Minted Patent Agent w/ ?'s
« Reply #16 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 10:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1. Passing the patent bar (or whatever you call it) shows the seriousness of the person toward the professional. This helps employers hire "interested" professionals. Compare it with the situation where the employer needs to choose from thousands of candidate who may or may not be dedicated to the profession for long term.  

2. It is unlikely that a new patent agent will jump into private practice right after getting the registration number. Even if he/she does so, it is almost unlikely she/he will get any business.  

It is likely that the new agent will initially work under the supervision of an experienced practitioner. Therefore, requiring "several years of internship aka working in a sweat shop" is totally impractical. Requiring several years of internship before taking patent bar is also absurd. I am a quick learner, I can learn new things in just couple of months; why should I wait for several years before being eligible to take the exam.  

The system is very good as it is right now.  

on May 10th, 2004, 7:36am, eric stasik wrote:
Dear Brett,

My impression of the market is that it is lukewarm. For mechanical engineers I don't know if the water is ever warmer than tepid.  

The USPTO is perhaps the best place to look for employment if you want to go to law school and want to learn how to write applications.  

As a general comment, it is a little disturbing that someone can pass the USPTO's registration (not bar) exam and be asking for help as to how to draft an application! I have said it before in this forum, 50% of the USPTO's problems are a result on the applicants' representatives who are not adequately trained.  

In contrast, a European Patent Attorney must have several years of apprenticeship under a registered EP attorney before he is even allowed to sit for the European Qualifying Exam.  

Until the AIPLA demands tougher standards for its own members their complaints about the USPTO are hypocritical, self-serving, and not worth listening to.  

/end rant

As for books to help you NoLo's "Patent it Yourself" is not bad.  

Good Luck!

Regards,

Eric Stasik
(Registered US Patent Agent 37, 944)

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2005, 10:45pm by patento » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »