The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2019, 1:18pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Assignments and Licenses
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Can A Provisional Application Have Assignees ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can A Provisional Application Have Assignees ?  (Read 814 times)
Sven Fischler
Can A Provisional Application Have Assignees ?
« on: Apr 8th, 2007, 8:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi there, great forums, maybe someone can help me.

A year ago, I was working with a firm that had an attorney on retainer. I devised an invention, and in exchange for some promises (which i believed at the time) of compensation I signed off on a _Provisional Application_ that had the company named as an assignee.  

Not long afterward, I was terminated from the company in a restructuring, and we did not discuss the patent.

Now I am fairly certain that they have not prosecuted the patent. No filings of Assignation or Patent are to be found on the USPTO db's.

Does this constitute abandonment ? Can I refile a Provisional Application now, with no assignees ? What, if any, amount of the original documentation can I use in my application ?

I did not see an 'Assignee' field in the USPTO's cover sheet example... Is it even possible to assign rights at that stage ? Can they litigate against me if I refile and prosecute to Non-Provisional ?

No hard resources were spent in development, except perhaps some hours by an assistant on my staff being paid to help document/diagram...

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions...

SF

IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Can A Provisional Application Have Assignees ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 7:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 8th, 2007, 8:33pm, Sven Fischler wrote:
Now I am fairly certain that they have not prosecuted the patent. No filings of Assignation or Patent are to be found on the USPTO db's.

Does this constitute abandonment ? Can I refile a Provisional Application now, with no assignees ? What, if any, amount of the original documentation can I use in my application ?

No, and even abandonment wouldn't give you the right to file a patent after assigning the patent rights.  

Quote:
I did not see an 'Assignee' field in the USPTO's cover sheet example... Is it even possible to assign rights at that stage ? Can they litigate against me if I refile and prosecute to Non-Provisional ?

Yes it is possible to assign a provisional application.  
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »