The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2019, 2:08pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Assignments and Licenses
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Negotiating and promises not to us the idea
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Negotiating and promises not to us the idea  (Read 592 times)
Tony Kondaks
Negotiating and promises not to us the idea
« on: Nov 24th, 2006, 5:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Assume I already have filed a provisional application and am now ready to approach companies with my idea with the intent to sell them a license.
Is it necessary to get them to sign a confidentiality agreement?  And by that I don't mean that I am asking them not to tell anyone about the idea but, rather, that they promise not to bypass me and use the idea themselves without compensating me (perhaps I am using the wrong term and it is something else and not called a "confidentiality agreement"?)
Anyway, I don't see why such an agreement would be necessary to get before revealing my idea to them because I assume that the patent-pending itself is a protection.
Is my understanding correct?
I hope so because it has been my experience that asking someone for a confidentiality agreement greatly lessens that chance I can get in the door and pitch my idea.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Negotiating and promises not to us the idea
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 12:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A confidentiality agreement -- sometimes called Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) or Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA) -- is never necessary but often a good idea.  I wouldn't suggest allowing the other party to disclose your idea but not use it.  They could disclose it to another company and allow the other company to use it.  So, I'd suggest not separating the right to disclose and the right to use.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »