The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 17th, 2019, 9:09pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Assignments and Licenses
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Licensing Questions From Licensee Point of View
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Licensing Questions From Licensee Point of View  (Read 494 times)
Total_Noob

Licensing Questions From Licensee Point of View
« on: Jun 11th, 2006, 8:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As the name implies, I'm quite new to this.

I'm looking at a license on behalf of a licensee, and have a couple questions that I'm having trouble discovering answers for on my own.  

- One of the patents referenced in the license was issued in 1986. Is there a way to determine the expiration date of this patent?

- Should I look to a step-down in the licensing fees for when this this patent expires?

- The license has other patents that were issued on later dates, but which incorporate by reference the 1986 patent as the preferred embodiment. Are there any implications to the claims of this patent if the 1986 patent expires?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Licensing Questions From Licensee Point of Vie
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 9:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 11th, 2006, 8:31pm, Total_Noob wrote:
As the name implies, I'm quite new to this.

I'm looking at a license on behalf of a licensee, and have a couple questions that I'm having trouble discovering answers for on my own.  

- One of the patents referenced in the license was issued in 1986. Is there a way to determine the expiration date of this patent?

Not based on solely the information given, but yes the expiration date could be determined.

Quote:

- Should I look to a step-down in the licensing fees for when this this patent expires?

Hard to tell.   We don't know what your license is for and what the relationship is between the patents and what you are trying to accomplish by licensing.  In theory as long as there is one claim you cannot work around, the entire licensing fee could be based on that claim.

Quote:

- The license has other patents that were issued on later dates, but which incorporate by reference the 1986 patent as the preferred embodiment. Are there any implications to the claims of this patent if the 1986 patent expires?

Not directly, but there may be some relationship between the expiration date of the patents.

IP Logged

Isaac
total_noob
Re: Licensing Questions From Licensee Point of Vie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 2:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jun 11th, 2006, 9:29pm, Isaac wrote:

Not based on solely the information given, but yes the expiration date could be determined.

Hard to tell.   We don't know what your license is for and what the relationship is between the patents and what you are trying to accomplish by licensing.  In theory as long as there is one claim you cannot work around, the entire licensing fee could be based on that claim.

Not directly, but there may be some relationship between the expiration date of the patents.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »