The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Assignments and Licenses
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Provisional Patent Application Number
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Provisional Patent Application Number  (Read 691 times)
Sue
Provisional Patent Application Number
« on: Dec 12th, 2005, 4:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have recently filed for two provisional patents.  I was told by someone not to give out my application numbers to anyone, but I wasnt told why.  I am meeting with a representative of a corporation interested in the patents, and he has asked fo rthe application numbers...  Can someone shed some light on this?  Is there any negative consequence to giving out a patent application number to a prospective licensor?  Thanks.
IP Logged
F.Picard
Re: Provisional Patent Application Number
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 10:08am »

This seems to me a case of Paris convention,

Indeed, giving the provisional application number is giving one part of the identity of the priority filing.

It's like giving the keys of your home to a stranger.

If a less scrupulous mind have all the ingredients (i.e. content of the provisional application, title, provisional application number), he could eventually file a patent claiming YOUR provisional application as priority.

He would probably file it in countries which are less strict on Paris convention application.  

I sincerely hope that you had a confidentiality disclosure agreement with those guys. This would prevent them to do that, because filing a patent is a public disclosure.  

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 15th, 2005, 10:08am, F.Picard wrote:
This seems to me a case of Paris convention,

Indeed, giving the provisional application number is giving one part of the identity of the priority filing.

It's like giving the keys of your home to a stranger.

If a less scrupulous mind have all the ingredients (i.e. content of the provisional application, title, provisional application number), he could eventually file a patent claiming YOUR provisional application as priority.

While I would not recommend giving out the provisional application number, the stealing priority scenario seems a bit far fetched.  

I would be more concerned that someone might be able to use the information to game their way into being able to view the provisional during a period when the provisional is still considered confidential.  

IP Logged

Isaac
F.Picard
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 10:46am »

on Dec 15th, 2005, 12:03pm, Isaac wrote:

While I would not recommend giving out the provisional application number, the stealing priority scenario seems a bit far fetched.

This instantly brings me the question : What mechanisms prevent such priority "steal" ? What uspto, or foreign patent offices use as priority "recognition" mechanism ?

What, with the exception of a confidentiality disclosure agreement, would prevent such steal ?

Inventor match ? (Falsely or misleading on inventorship would invalidate the "stealed" patent).

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »