The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 4:06pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Assignments and Licenses
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Multiple inventors
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Multiple inventors  (Read 636 times)
morgan

Multiple inventors
« on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My company has asked me to put the name of some people on my patent who have not contributed to this patent.  

I was wondering whether I can put my name on this patent as the inventor, and name of other people as participants.

Is there such a field as participant or something else beside the main inventor that I can use for these individuals?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Multiple inventors
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:09pm »

Presumably your company will hire a patent agent or patent attorney to write, file, and prosecute the patent application.  It should be the responsibility of the agent or attorney to determine inventorship, not your responsibility.  It is your responsibility to honestly communicate with the agent or attorney so that individiual can identify the true inventors.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 7:20pm »

I disagree with the theory that the inventor has no responsibility for
the inventorship being correct.  He's going to end up signing an oath
or affidavit indicating that the inventorship is correct.  How
would you suggest he react to being asked to sign a declaration with
a lie on its face?
IP Logged

Isaac
Wiscagent

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 9:28pm »

Isaac, you make a good point, of course the inventor should not sign a declaration that is incorrect.  

I was assuming that the inventor would be dealing with an honest, ethical, competent practitioner.  The practitioner should ask the right questions to determine inventorship.  Many or perhaps most inventors are not qualified to identify who are and who are not inventors.

When Morgan wrote "My company has asked me..." I assumed that some manager (who probably doesn't know or care about any subtleties of inventorship) was doing the asking.  Hopefully the patent practitioner would overrule the manager and insist on correct inventorship.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 10:45am »

Just a couple of points to add:

There's no such thing as a "participant" -- a person is either an inventor or not an inventor.

Naming a non-inventor as an inventor or failing to name an inventor (i.e., listing incorrect inventorship) can make a patent invalid and unenforceable.  See 35 USC 102(f):  
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode35/usc_sec_35_00000102---- 000-.html
[TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/cn86p]

So, it's fairly important to get inventorship right -- to comply with 102(f) and for the reasons already given.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »