The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 19th, 2019, 11:57am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Assignments and Licenses
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Hold Harmless & Indemnify
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hold Harmless & Indemnify  (Read 1851 times)
mike

Hold Harmless & Indemnify
« on: May 30th, 2005, 6:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey All,

I am looking at a proposed exclusive patent license agreement. The licensee want the licensor to indemnify and hold harmless the licensee in the event of a claim or suit of infringement.

Both parties can agree that there would be no infringement without the product, but the licensee states that the licensor should be responsible for licensee's losses. I do not agree.

What is usually the case ?
IP Logged
mike

Re: Hold Harmless & Indemnify
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2005, 7:29am »

Good Morning,

Anybody with some thoughts on this topic?

It appears that indemnification can be very costly, and is an unknown or not predictable future cost. Looking at the possible royalty compared to the cost of possible hold harmless and indemnification It is not such a good idea.

The interested and potential licensee says that he would not leave me hanging and that he will back me up if something should arise. Wow, that make me want to sign the agreement. ....warm and fuzzy.  

It is possible that he knows that I will not sign, and just wants a way to negotiate the royalty down.

Does this guy seem slimmy or should I think he is just doing business move ??

Thanks,  mike

IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 5:57pm »

It's really impossible to answer your question with the information you've given.

I don't believe there's any "usual" party (licensee vs. licensor) to assume risk that a particular product/service might infringe another's patent(s).  Generally speaking, one side assumes that risk and the other side gives up something in exchange, usually money.

If the licensee doesn't mind assuming that risk, I don't see how that makes him/her slimy.

If the contract includes no indemnification clause, my understanding is that each party assumes their own risk for infringing activity.  As licensor, you're probably not going to make, use, or sell anything and therefore do not substantially risk infringement liability.  Some might argue that your license is an inducement to infringe, but I think that's a stretch under current law.  

On the other hand, the licensee is going to be making, using, and/or selling something (presumably).  If you don't promise to indemnify them, it seems they've assumed that risk themselves.

However, all of these issues are often very specific to the specific contract and it's not clear what those terms are.  And, from what I've read here, it's impossible to say whether anybody is slimy or unreasonable in any way.

Good luck.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
mike

« Reply #3 on: Jun 4th, 2005, 8:00am »

Jim,  

Thanks for taking the time to comment.  

Since I am not a seasoned business person, I can often let emotion take over my thinking.  

Considering negotiation tatics, I will agree that the potential licensee is not necessarily slimmy.

Can you please explain your "inducement to infringe" comment ?

Thanks Again,   mike
IP Logged
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 7:28am »

Mike -

From the direction this thread is taking, I fear you are trying to "go it alone" in these negotiations.  That's likely a Big Mistake.

While Jim is very generous in his advice in these forums -- advice which is sound in every instance I know of -- even he will tell you not to rely on the general advice you obtain here in making substantive, real world decisions.

If you are as inexperienced as you suggest, you should seriously consider hiring a qualified IP attorney to handle the negotiations for you.  Even well seasoned business people do that.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »