The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2019, 2:38am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Assignments and Licenses
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Royalty Rates
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Royalty Rates  (Read 11013 times)
mike

Re: Royalty Rates
« Reply #5 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

W,

I have been interviewing lawyers over the past couple of weeks. I expect to make a selection by the end of this week.  

Is it better to start with the potential buyers agreement or my agreement ? Please explain.
IP Logged
W
« Reply #6 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 5:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Could you explain a little more? Typically, two parties meet and discuss what they want; then their lawyers call each other over the phone and hammer out any differences. There may be a few more meetings to work out any particulary troublesome areas, but overall that's how it works.  

-W
IP Logged
mike

« Reply #7 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 7:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

W,

OK, here is the scoop: I do not know what I am doing !

I think this is the best way to start: I applied for a patent on a dare by my wife. The patent was granted and I started sending out sales flyers.  

Of the 20 or so flyers, I have several nibblers but 3 hard takers. The hard takers have asked for my terms.  

Since I filed the patent app with out legal assist, and I have no business experience, I was not prepared when the hard takers asked for my terms.  

At this point my options appear to be:1. compose my own agreement with the help of legal, or ask the hard takers to submit an offer that I can take to legal to review.

So, which do I do ? Pay legal to compose a "in my best interest" contract or ask the hard takers to submit an offer.  

Any advise ?

IP Logged
W
« Reply #8 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 9:24pm »

Find out exactly what the hard-takers want (there are many, many different types of licensing), then call in your lawyer. He'll handle everything from there, and put you in the best position.  

-W
IP Logged
W
« Reply #9 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:07pm »

You probably want to go it alone right now (finish the job so to speak), but now you need to decide what you love more: money or pride.  

Me? I'd pick the money aspect. If you have a patent of any worth (which you undoubtably do), having that much extra money in your pocket at the end of the day will soothe any ego.

Let's admit it: lawyers are the best at what they do (making other people pay). They have it down to a fine art. And nothing is going to kill your pride more than wondering for the rest of your life if you could have gotten more.

I mean no disrespect with regard to your negotiation skills, I am simply offering my take on the situation.

Best of Luck,
-W
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »