The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 6:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Novelty
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Screw machines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Screw machines  (Read 1101 times)
jlakes

Screw machines
« on: Mar 6th, 2007, 10:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I own a medium sized precision metals manufacturing company in IL. Sooner or later i would like to stop bidding for jobs and manufacture and sell my own screw machine products. So instead of trying to repatent an expired patent can someone advise me on where to search for ideas or products that never made to patent.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Screw machines
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 7:13am »

"So instead of trying to repatent an
     expired patent  ..."

First of all, there is no such thing as repatenting an expired patent.

Second from a business perspective, I suggest that you focus on determining what kind of machine makes the most sense in terms of your business, i.e. cost, reliability, efficiency, ability to make the parts you need, and so forth.  Once you figure out what kind of machine you want, then it might be a good idea to consult with an attorney familiar with patent issues to make sure that you would not be infringing someone else's valid patent.  And, if the ideal machine for your purpose would be infringing someone else's patent, you might consider licensing rights to use the patent.

Finally, unless you've invented a new and non-obvious machine or process, you have no basis for getting a patent on your own.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2007, 7:13am by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 10:48am »

Well, there is a such thing as trying to repatent an expired patent.  There's just no such thing as doing it.  Or there shouldn't be, at least - there's always a chance the expired patent slips by the attention of a patent examiner.

A patent search is a good way to find products that were patented but never made it to market, or are no longer on the market (that is often how they end up).  Google can be a good place to start if you are looking to find ideas that never necessarily were patented.

More specifically, there are a few sites that may be particularly good for this.  halfbakery.com, for example, as much as it might seem like a screwball site, can be a great place to search for random consumer ideas across various industries.  To search that site as well as a couple of other specifically selected sites in one spot - just click here

IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
jlakes

Failed attempts
« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 11:17am »

Judging from your reponse I dont think I was clear about the information I'am seeking. I'm looking to re-develop or conceptulize a product invention that didnt make throgh the patent process. My goal is to find a market for said product that I can manufacture on a screw or CNC machine. Is there a database of failed attempts or something of the like?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #4 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 11:46am »

Actually, I think we do get it.  There's a popular misconception that old ideas, not otherwise covered by a patent currently in force, can be patented.  That's wrong.

Ignoring trade secrets for now, ideas have one of two paths -- patent or public domain.  And, the patent path also leads to the public domain.  

So, if an idea is known, has been in use for a while, and was never patented, it cannot now be patented.  The inventor(s) has opted out of patent protection for whatever reason and the idea now belongs to the public.

If an idea was patented and the rights conveyed by the patent have been exhausted, the patented idea now belongs to the public and cannot now be patented.

The good news is that you're free to use those ideas.  The bad news is that everyone else can use those ideas too.

If, in using those ideas, you come up with one of your own that makes things better and adds value that wasn't there before, you can apply for your own patent and be the sole source of that improvement.

I hope that clarifies things.

Regards.

P.S. As for a database of failed ideas that you might want to revive in the marketplace, I'm not aware of any such database.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2007, 11:47am by JimIvey » IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »