The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2019, 2:14am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Buying a patent from another Country?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Buying a patent from another Country?  (Read 3556 times)
trader06

boogy9
Email

Buying a patent from another Country?
« on: Dec 16th, 2007, 8:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I've been trying to factor the costs of buying the makeup of a product from another Country. I know that this "product" is no longer on the shelves due to some problems. Do I really need to purchase this patent from their Country, since I would have to pay to file or check to see if this would infringe on any patents here in the U.S . It seems like I could eliminate some steps in this process, which could save some money. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Trader
IP Logged

Trader06
trader06

boogy9
Email

Re: Buying a patent from another Country?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 8:50am »

I apologize, this isn't the topic I was looking to post in. but any ideas is still appreciated!
IP Logged

Trader06
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 3:14pm »

Aspects of your situation are unclear.  Why would you be looking to purchase (or file for) this patent, for example?  What kind of patent is this?  i.e. if solely seeking to market a product in the US obtaining a European patent would be largely useless.  What do you mean by "buying the makeup of"?

IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
trader06

boogy9
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 9:48pm »

I would like to purchase the ingrediants to produce this product which is made in another country. I would like to introduce it to this market here in the US. I'm sure they have it patent in their country. I don't want to buyout the product if there is a chance that it is already patent here. Any ideas of what can be done?

Thanks
IP Logged

Trader06
DJoshEsq

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 12:47am »

I recommend speaking with a patent attorney.  
Depending on the specifics you provide that attorney, I assume he/she would recommend conducting an infringement search to identify any patents that you may infringe if you produce the product.  Even if you (without attorney) locate a U.S. patent, only a patent attorney can advise you on the scope, interpretation and validity of a patent.  

If you are serious about exploiting the product, then you should consult with an attorney.  I am available by email (joshsmith@mcdonaldhopkins.com) or telephone (see below), if you would like assistance.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2007, 12:50am by DJoshEsq » IP Logged

D. Joshua Smith, Esq.
Registered Patent Attorney
McDonald Hopkins, LLC
Cleveland, OH
216-348-5400
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »