The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 22nd, 2019, 7:54pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

I have an Invention ... Now What?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   have a new idea? SHould I make that for patenting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: have a new idea? SHould I make that for patenting  (Read 925 times)
webinventory

have a new idea? SHould I make that for patenting
« on: Dec 14th, 2007, 5:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi to all members of IP forum

I have a new creative idea . Its about a computer accessory. lets assume keyboard and the idea is a add a new key to keyboard to do a completely new functionality . So now what?
DO I have to make a new keyboard and write the driver to get the patent. Its clear that making such a keyboard and writing such a driver don't require a new or unknown tech.
SO if I completely describe the idea it must be suficient for patenting.
Am I right? What do you think?

Thanks
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: have a new idea? SHould I make that for patent
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 9:32am »

US law requires: “The specification shall contain a written description of the invention, and of the manner and process of making and using it, in such full, clear, concise, and exact terms as to enable any person skilled in the art to which it pertains, or with which it is most nearly connected, to make and use the same, and shall set forth the best mode contemplated by the inventor of carrying out his invention.”

In other words, the patent application for your new keyboard must contain enough of a description that another (hypothetical) person skilled in keyboard technology would be able to make your keyboard.  If certain aspects of your keyboard are routine, regular keyboard characteristics, there is no need to go into detail describing those aspects.  Also, there is no requirement that you actually make a working prototype.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2007, 9:33am by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: have a new idea? SHould I make that for patent
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 11:14am »

I'm a little confused here.  Is this just an idea?  In other words, is what you have an idea of adding a functionality (in your hypo) to a keyboard and that's it?  As an example, I think it would be useful to have a key that presents the screen in a mirror image.  If that's as far as it's gone, I don't see the patentability in that because it may not be fleshed out enough to raise to the level of conception of an invention.  It's hard to opine on these things in the abstract.  Perhaps you should seek legal advice where you can talk specifics.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »